Chapter 22

"Wake up! Wake up!" came the frantic calls of Frostflight's kits as they pushed against Lemonkit's tired and sleepy body.

            Lemonkit slowly opened her eyes, letting out a long yawn as she watched the small gray she-cat push her mewling kits away.

            "Today's the big day," she announced.

            Lemonkit looked around, watching Daisyfeather clean up her five kits. Out of the corner of her eye, she could see Thymekit smiling at her, just like he normally did.

            Lemonkit stood up, Frostflight's tongue running along her fur as she fixed up her adopted kit's pelt. Lemonkit sat in silence, still in disbelief that today she would be made an apprentice. She'd been in the nursery so long with her siblings and friends that it would feel weird to leave them all behind.

            At least Thymekit and his siblings will be made apprentices with me, she thought.

            Loud footsteps made Lemonkit spin around. She turned, seeing Hailfrost. He raced forward, sitting down next to his mate.

            "Are you excited for today, Lemonkit?" Hailfrost asked.

            Lemonkit nodded, turning around to face him as Frostflight finished.

            "Are you all right? You don't look too excited to become an apprentice," Frostflight observed.

            "No, I am," Lemonkit argued. "It feels weird leaving you and your kits, Frostflight. I won't be in the nursery anymore to play. I have to train now."

            "Your siblings will be made apprentices alongside you in a few moons," Frostflight reminded her.

            "Training is essential in a warrior's life. You'll do great," Hailfrost told her.

            Lemonkit grinned. "Thank you...for all you've done. You're the best parents I could've ever hoped for."

            Hailfrost grinned and wrapped his tail around her while Frostflight touched her nose to the top of Lemonkit's forehead.

            "We're very proud of you, and we'll be watching you during the ceremony," Hailfrost reminded her.

            "We'll miss you," came a small mew.

            Lemonkit looked past Frostflight and Hailfrost, spotting Troutkit and the others clustered together.

            "Oh, I'll miss you, too!" she called, racing towards the pair of kits. They'd grown over the past moon, though Lemonkit still lingered over them as they all moved closer to her to say their weepy good-byes.

            "Will you miss us?" Pearkit whimpered.

            "Of course I will. It'll only be a few moons alone in the nursery. You'll be able to make all sorts of friends, and soon, we'll be training together. Won't that be exciting?"

            "Why can't Silverstar make us warriors earlier?" Desertkit frowned.

            "Because you still have growing to do. Now do me a favor, and behave for Frostflight, all right?"

            "We will," the kits said in unison.

            "Good."

            "Are you ready, Lemonkit?" Raspberrykit asked, rushing towards her friend's side.