Chapter 3

I came to with a start and opened my eyes and then blinked a couple of times because I couldn't see anything. I moved to rub them but chains were tied around my wrists and I hissed as they pressed against my skin. They were probably laced with wolfsbane. I groaned and leaned my head back against the wall before snapping my neck up and I remembered my siblings.

"Guys!" I called out, the panic evident in my voice. "Emmaline! Maxon!" I heard a rustling noise and Emmaline's voice came out softly, maybe a few feet in front of me.

"Here."

"Emma! Are you ok? Are you hurt anywhere? Do you see Maxon?" I fired off the questions rapidly and she answered just as quickly.

"I'm fine, just chained up. The chains sting a lot. Max is in the same cell as me. I think we are in different cells though."

Some of the heaviness was lifted from my chest. Even if we were in cells, tied and chained up, we had each other. Still, my heart burned when I realized that my mate tied up a ten-year-old with wolfsbane chains and my eyes welled with tears when I realized that he might've done the same to my four-year-old brother.

A door creaked loudly and I focused on the sound.

"Someone is coming!" Emma whispered.

My body tensed as footsteps neared my siblings' cell.

I listened and counted the set of feet. It sounded like three people. My wolf shook her grogginess away and my heartbeat sped up as we realized that our mate was one of them. I swore. After everything he had done to my siblings and me, I was still undoubtedly attracted to him.

Emma gasped.

"Haven." She breathed out as the jingle of keys reached my ears. They were right outside my sibling's cell.

"What do you want!" I growled out.

"Nothing. Just your little brother." My mate responded and my heart just about fell out of my chest at the smoothness of his voice. At the same time though, my mind hardened and helped my to steel myself against his charms.

"Leave him alone!" A growl ripped out of my chest again and the men laughed as my siblings whimpered.

"Don't worry. We won't torture him for too long. We still have to work our way up to you."

A newfound rage ripped through my chest as I realized that they were going to hurt my innocent baby brother and I yanked at my chains as my wolf raged inside of me, growling to be let out. I tried to change but the transformation stopped mid-change and I let out a painful whimper as my body rippled unstably between my two forms.

"Haven! You can't change! You'll hurt yourself!" I could faintly hear Emma through the pain that held my body but I was stubborn. I didn't want to stop trying. My wolf was stronger than me and I would have a better chance of fighting anyone off if I surrendered control to her.

 Another wave of pain rippled through my chest and a grunt escaped through my clenched teeth. The pain was intense and pulsing. I could feel my wrists being rubbed raw by the wolfsbane shackles but I ignored the pain and pulled harder, to no avail.

Through the rushing sound of my pain, I could hear someone outside the cell breathing hard. Though I was only able to change midway, my body had almost become acclimated to the pain and my senses had been enhanced and I could see more clearly. I watched as my mate fell to his knees and for once, I didn't waver. My heart hardened against him, brushing away the fact that my soulmate seemed to be in intense pain.

I grinned cruelly as I quickly realized what was happening. My pain was being cast onto him. Normally this wouldn't happen until the mates had touched and I was puzzled for a couple of seconds before I realized that he had touched me when he had pressed the pressure point at the crook of my neck.