Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Leighla’s POV

My room in the Justice Building is completely yellow. Literally, not a single wall, bit of carpet or item of furniture has escaped the yellowness, so I’m shrouded in a sunshiny glow, all alone and preparing to die.

They could have at least let Zech and I be in the same room,  but I suppose their thin compassion doesn’t spread that far. I think I’ll get to see him for the goodbyes though.

And I must be right because, as if on cue, the door opens and he’s shoved in by a pair of peacekeepers. My eyes light up and I run up to him, and he smiles at me before he starts to cry.

Was I right to keep my promise? How could I have possibly picked him? He is inevitably going to die now, and it’s down to me. No, I shouldn’t do this to myself. He made me. But I can hardly be mad at him now…

I hug him and we sit down on the sofa. How is this going to affect Sienn and our father? If a miracle happens then maybe he’ll win, but for that to happen I have to die, and that affects more people than just me.

“Don’t blame yourself,” he says, as if he has read my mind. “You did exactly what I wanted. That makes you special.”

I smile feebly. “I’m trying to accept that we’re tributes,” I say.

“I finally came to terms with that a few years ago. I figured that life goes on without me, anyway,” he says nonchalantly. I feel like I’m being horribly self-centred after this, and he seems to notice. “Don’t worry though, fear is good. Fear is healthy,” he adds quickly.

I sigh and somewhere in my head, my brain has decided to replay the reaping.

I had been so afraid up on that stand, and I was at war with myself as to whether to pick Zech or not. Then my time was up and his was the only name I could possibly find.

He had walked up, prepared for this, and taken his place beside me. Even Sienn looked like she was about to cry. I’m pretty sure that she would have volunteered for him if she was a boy. She would probably have volunteered for me if her friends hadn’t grabbed her and held their hands over her mouth so that she couldn’t.

The goodbyes will be soon, but I don’t want to think about them. I’m thinking about what will happen if it’s me and Zech as the final two.

No, no, no. I can’t think like that. I must focus on the positives. I will have my brother to help me. The odds are in my favour…no, Leighla. No, they’re not. Don’t lie to yourself.

I know that I’m right- the odds are out to get me- to tear me apart limb by limb. I was reaped. I chose my brother- I chose my brother! How could I? Stupid promise. Stupid me for not breaking it. It would have worked out better if I hadn’t kept my word. I just know it.

That’s because it’s so obviously true…

Now I’m crying uncontrollably and clinging to his t-shirt. He puts his arm around me and tries to comfort me, but it’s futile. I can’t be consoled anymore.

Stop being stupid. You’ll face a lot worse in the arena.

And that proves it. What I have just told myself is like sprinkling salt in an open wound. Things are going to get worse and I have to come to terms with that.

I also have to figure out how to win without killing anyone.

That’s stupid on about nineteen different levels, the first being that I am NOT going to win. If anyone from District Ten is, it will be Zech. He doesn’t think so, though.

“You’d better win,” I tell him.

“No!” he yells. He then adds more calmly, “For me to win, you’d have to die…”

“I’m going to die anyway,” I say, matter-of-factly through my tears.

“No.”

“Yes, I am, Zech, and you know it. Now, I kept my stupid promise and you are going to keep yours.”

“I didn’t promise you anything, Leigh-”

“Not yet,” I say. “But here’s the deal- if I die, you will try your hardest to win. Promise?”

“No, Leighla, you won’t die, I’ll protect you every step in there. There’s no way I’m letting anyone lay a single finger on my little sister!”

“I know,” I lie. “But just…hypothetically?”

He sighs. “You don’t get it,” he tells me.

I just shake my head and resolve to try again later. But without the comfortingly distracting task of trying to convince Zech to win, I just burst out crying again.

I just shut out the words of my family in the goodbyes. I don’t think I am physically able to take them. I just hug them all, and as soon as they leave, we are ushered onto an express train to the Capitol.