Tonight is the Night I Die

The soldiers welcomed us in so long as Carol didn't talk about how there is no God. Thankfully she agreed not to speak about it. Carol sat with the survivors in the pews and I followed the soldiers to discuss what to do now. The Soldiers signalled to 2 others a woman and another man. We went to some sort of office it was completely trashed and some blood was sprayed over the walls.

"Homey." I stated, looking around at my surroundings.

"It's the only place we can really talk in private." The woman said, rather politely and calmly.

I nodded and the soldiers started talking about a way to the coast and getting on a boat and going far away from land, returning when it was really necessary for supplies. The soldiers produced a map and started drawing different routes from the church to the docks.

"We could try going to these old car parks. Steal some cars and drive there. But last time I heard about this road it was blocked up." One of the 2 soldiers put down his plan.

"How?" The woman asked. Looking at the map and looking at the route he was talking about on the map.

"So many people trying to get to the docks. Not enough room on the road. Basically the road is so filled up with cars that there is no way through that road."

"We could try driving along on the opposite side of the road." I suggested hoping it wasn't stupid."

"We would get further than on the right side of the road, but sadly other people have had the idea. We'll get at least 2 miles more than this side and then we could walk from there."

"And risk infection." The other soldier contradicted.

I looked at the map studying each and every route we had drawn out. Each and every one of the routes had some sort of flaw. I looked for the best route as we hadn't seemed to have found. Then it dawned on me. That we could try the Dead Government safe houses.

"Stop!" I screamed, a little suddenly without realising I had screamed. The whole group jumped in suprise at me. "Sorry. I just remembered something that we could try. Do you have a radio?"

"Yes. Why?" one soldier replied.

"Take me to it." I ordered.

"I'll bring it here." Then he left the room and came back with a ham radio. I turned the dial until I got a tone. 

"This is Victoria Redding. I have taken refuge in a church not far from a Helicopter Crash site, We need help immediately. I have the 'D.N.A Structure Project' with me. Infected are closing in on our position and we need an immediate evacuation. There are other survivors with us." I pressed the button and waited for a reply. It came a few seconds later.

"This is Air Patrol 243 of The Dead Government Organisation. We can be at your location in 5 minutes. Please keep in reach of the Radio you are using until we reach you."

"Thank you. Please hurry." I finished and then the other man asked,

"What?"

"That was the Dead Government Organisation. The reason Carol and I are here. We were in one of their bases. Then it got attacked by infected and some special infected seemed to be leading the attack. Then we encountered a new type of infected which shot down 2 of our helicopters..."

"Shot?" The woman asked, now paying a lot more attention.

"Well more like impaled it."

"Oh. I think that past us. Walked right past the windows we could see the silhouette of it."

"Yeah we were on the roof when it walked past. It was so deformed and scary that I almost died looking at it." The soldier that stayed told us.

"Well anyway," I interrupted. "Then we landed to check for survivors, and that's how we got here. Few things excluded." Then we heard some banging coming from the main hall. We all ran straight to the hall. The entire group of survivors had backed as far away from the large doors. Then the bang started to get more numerous, and higher up the door. I looked over at the windows and of course the human shaped silhouettes were all over them. Some silhouttes of Creepers also ran across the windows, leaving holes where their claws have penetrated.

"Everybody out! Come on!" The woman screamed, we all ran back into the office and the woman opened another door, which had remained unnoticed to me. The people that were discussing the best route to the coast stayed making sure everyone would got through the doors. 

"They'll just follow us." I stopped just beside them. The woman stopped and realised once I mentioned it.

"She's right." She confirmed. "Someone has to stay and distract them and cover up the exit." I looked through the door and seen that Carol and the other survivors were waiting for us.

"I'll stay." I put myself forward for a suicide mission. Everyone looked at me. "There's no more time to argue. GO!!!" I shouted at them. They each climbed through the door and I handed the Ham Radio to the woman and she nodded as I looked into her eyes, as if she knew what she had to do. She closed the door and I heard the lock click and slide. I grabbed a bookcase and pulled it over the door and pulled the desk over to it as well. I ran out of the room and heard the large door splintering and cracking and the glass smashing. I ran in the opposite direction, I was looking for a way up to the roof and then I found it. I ran up the stairs. One memory ran through my head as I ran up to the place I was ultimately going to die. The thought about what the doctor back at the Safety Zone told me. Cancer. The fact I had lived this long during the apocolypse to die by Cancer. I felt the tears swelling up in my eyes. I reached my destination and I searched the spot that looked like a sniper spot. I found a machine gun and something of use. I placed some along the roof and placed one right in front of me. I placed my foot on it. Then I heard the foot steps of the infected and I readied myself so I wouldn't move when I shot it. Then I seen them. I didn't open fire when they first appeared I waited for them to reach that little something of use. Then they did. The mines exploded and the roof collapsed. The infected just kept running and fell into the giant hole. That was when I realised it was stupid of me to put one underneath my feet. As I reached down to try and disarm the mine, a group of creepers had climbed through the hole and now the mine was my greatest weapon. I hesitated and then I lifted my foot.

___________________________________________________________________________

One Week Later...

"In other news, The infection that had been released upon Northern Ireland and Ireland has now infected 100% of the poplation and the Government are now preparing a Decontamination." Then the screen shut off.

"This is why we want to Government dead, Carol. They killed your family. They killed Marie and everyone else. That's why we need you. You're our only hope of Destroying the people that destroyed us." The man explained to Carol, the last Redding family member. 

"So the English Government made this infection. And released it on us?"

"Yes. We have the evidence to prove it." A woman told her. "We ready for our first mission."

"Lets go." Carol took the lift to the surface with the woman. All the helicopters had been equiped with the B.O.W's. Carol climbed into a helicopter along with every soldier of the Dead Government Organisation. The Helicopter took off and flew towards England, she flew over the now destroyed Church where she last saw her older sister, Victoria Redding. She held back tears as she looked down at the ruined church. In the bases, each and every leader was watching the news. An emergency broadcast had been initiated and it was warning of the Helicopters flying in their direction containing B.O.W's. Then it showed a satellite image. All the Dead Government Helicopters and soldiers had been mobilised.

England had started a War.

___________________________________________________________________________

This is the end of Victoria and Carol's story. One died saving her sister and the other is avenging her sister's death, and nobody is safe from what she will do.

The next story in this series is the Prologue and after that the Epilogue.