hold onto me

Hi everyone! I'm back with a new chapter! This will probably be the last one for 3-4 days (when my exams are over!) I'm sorry that the updates have been so slow, but I am so close to finishing the semester, so I really just need to stay focused for a little longer before I relax and give my time to edits and writing! 

 Also, sorry that this chapter is a little short as well! The action really picks up in the next one, but this bit just needed to be here for background! Please enjoy and let me know what you think xx

The morning came quicker then Harley expected. She could feel the Joker string beside her and she rolled over and watched him wake up.

His brow was furrowed at first, not happy with being pulled out of his dream land. His hand ran over his face out of instinct, a low groan coming from the back of his throat. She snuggled closer into him and his eyes opened, looking down at her and smiling softly.

"Hello Pumpkin" he said, his voice thick with sleep. "Been awake long?"

"No" she lied, reaching up and pushing some his hair off his face. He chuckled and kissed her head.

"Good girl."

He stood up and stretched out, raising his arms over his head. Harley watched him happily, rolling onto her back and stretching herself. A sharp pain in her stomach stopped her, and she gasped silently, curling up into a ball and biting her lip. The Joker walked away from the bed, ignorant to Harley's suffering and entered the bathroom. Harley used the opportunity to wipe away some tears which had fallen onto her cheeks. She didn't want him to know. It was probably nothing anyway. Why bother him with nothing?

Harley heard the shower turn on and she eased herself out of bed, a hand holding her sore stomach. Was this what morning sickness felt like? She thought it was more like nausea than white hot pain. She gritted her teeth and practiced a smile. She would just take some painkillers and she would be fine. It would be fine.

She heard the shower stop and she sighed.

"Whats wrong baby?" came The Jokers voice from the bathroom

Nothing Puddin, want some breakfast?" she replied cheerily. The Joker grunted in response and Harley moved downstairs. Maybe some food would make her feel better too.

~~~

The pain hadn't stopped. It may have actually increased. Harley lay curled up on the couch. She television was on but she couldn't concentrate on what was playing. She was so consumed by the writhing in her stomach that sometimes even breathing hurt. The Joker was in his office planning so she was free to do what she wanted. He wouldn't know.

She groaned as another wave of pain hit. This was unbearable.

"Baby.." came a voice from the doorway. Harley looked up weakly to see The Joker. He walked towards her slowly, scooping her up in his arms. She whimpered and rested her head against him. The coolness of his shirt was a welcome relief.

"You don't look good Pumpkin" he said softly. "Thought you could lie to Daddy this morning, hmm?"

She could only nod in response. She closed her eyes as she felt him walk her upstairs and lay her on the bed. He sat beside her and began running his fingers soothingly through her hair. She pushed herself closer to him and he moved her up into his lap.

"Thankyou" she murmured deliriously, pulling at his shirt a little, eager to touch him more.

He said nothing, continuing to run his fingers through her hair, grazing the skin of her neck occasionally. She was such a silly baby, thinking she could hide her sickness from him. It was sweet really.

He felt her move in his lap, her flushed cheek and pouted lips brushing against his thigh. Her eyes were closed. She had fallen asleep. He smiled.

She was such a child. A timid, volatile emotional child. He moved her head back onto the pillow, running his thumb over the frown lines on her forehead, easing them out. Sleep would help her. Maybe she could forget about the pain for a little while. Hopefully it would be gone by the morning. The Joker sighed. He needed to get some work finished. He stood up and looked over at Harley once more. She was laying still, curled up tightly. He leaned down and placed a kiss on her warm forehead. It was only the afternoon, but she should be asleep for a while.

He closed the curtains, leaving Harley to sleep in darkness as he exited the room, heading back downstairs to finish off another one of his great plans.