I stood up, and matched his fierce look. "Maybe that's why I don't come by the dorm! As much as you like to think I'm a loner, maybe it's you that's the problem here. We were supposed to be having fun, Jace. Not just you hooking up with girls!"

"I could say the same thing about you and that Magnus guy," Jace replied, his voice crackling with anger.

"What are you talking about?" I asked, although I knew what he was talking about. But he couldn't know. Jace could never know.

"You guys went on a date last night, Alec. And unlike you, I know how to be fucking happy for my friends!"

"I didn't-"

Jace took a step towards me, putting his hands on my shoulders. "Alec, don't you dare say you didn't. I know the truth."

I pulled away from him, genuinely terrified. "I'm not gay."

"Alec-"

I picked up my shoes from the ground and hastily put them on.

"Where are you going?"

"Away from you," I yelled as I slammed the door behind me.

I began walking with no destination in mind. After stumbling around campus for about twenty minutes before I found myself facing a row of old brick restaurants. I checked my watch and saw that it was already twelve thirty. My stomach growled as I looked up and down the street. I spotted a pizza parlor a little ways down and began walking towards it.

I opened the door and walked up to the counter. I quickly ordered a slice of pepperoni and sat down at a booth to eat it. I scanned around the room, people watching. I saw Isabelle talking to a guy sitting across from her.

She saw me about the same time I saw her. She gave me a wave and got up from her seat to come sit by me.

"Hey, brother," she greeted with a smile.

"Isabelle," I nodded, taking another bite of pizza.

"How was your date?" she smiled.

I groaned. "Not you too." I rolled my eyes as she crossed her arms.

"Alec," she spoke softly and rested her hand on my shoulder. "You can't keep up this charade forever. After having both Clary and Jace confront me about the same issue in such a short time, it seemed all of my anger had completely dissipated.

"Izzy," I sighed. "We've talked about this before. And you know what I say every time."

"I know you lie every time." She smirked at me. "C'mon, Alec, you know you can tell me anything. I'm your sister. I'll be here for you. Always."

"It's not you I'm worried about," I grumbled. "It's mom and dad." I took another bite of pizza as I looked at Izzy's face. It was a mixture of shock and pleasant surprise. I guess she was finally happy to have gotten it out of me. Actually, I felt a bit of relief in telling her, too.

"Alec, mom and dad are the least of your worries. I promise."

I rested my finger against my temple. "You don't understand. They want me to live this perfect life. Get married to a good girl. Carry out the 'family legacy'." I put air quotations around the last two words.

Izzy put her hand over mine. "Alec, they love you. No matter what."

"Just... don't tell anyone, Isabelle. Promise?"

She nodded solemnly. "Don't worry, Alec."

I smiled at her and took the last bite of my pizza. "I'll see you later," I said as I got up. She waved, and I exited the building.

I wandered around for about a half an hour, mentally preparing myself to go back and face Jace. I was definitely not excited about that. I grimaced, shoved my hands down into my pockets and began trudging back towards the dorms. I could try and avoid the confrontation, but it would come sooner or later. I decided to make it sooner.

I felt a buzz in my pocket. I pulled my phone out, expecting a text from Jace, but it was from someone else entirely.

Come to club 49 tonight? The message from Magnus read. I debated for a moment, then saw another notification pop up.

I'll pay. Though, I'm pretty sure with eyes like yours, you'll be the one getting drinks for free ;)

I felt myself blush, and I looked around, seeing if anyone was watching me. For some odd reason, I felt like an open book.

They say college is a time for realizing who you are. And in the past 12 hours, that statement was proven absolutely true.

I thought for a moment, then typed back a response. I'll be there. Eight?

Only seconds later, I read, See you then.

For once in my life, I decided that I would do what I wanted.

For once in my life, I would be, well, me.