Blink (Part 1)

Blink

(Originally: 03x10, 'Blink'; aired June 9, 2007)

A/N: So I know I said Blink was going to be next, then it wasn't, but on further thought I realized it works best here, so here it will be. This is one of the creepiest, cleverest, best all around episodes of the show in my opinion--a great episode to watch if you've never seen the show before. It's also what we call a 'Doctor-lite' episode, which generally occurred about once a season due to scheduling, and it means that the Doctor (and usually his current companion(s)) only showed up minimally in the episode. In this story, however, we'll be following two timelines, which are both marked for ease of understanding. Because I had to write out a whole episode and come up with a parallel timeline running alongside it, this is longer than you average episode rewrite, clocking in at five parts. Also you're getting an oddly timed post because I'm having surgery tomorrow morning and wanted this up before then.

Oh, and side note to my readers of Ridiculous--Lawrence Nightingale is no relation to Lawrence Saxon, never fear there ;) All right, I've rambled enough, on with Blink!

2007

Sally Sparrow loved old things.

They drew her in like no other—which was why she was climbing a fence to an abandoned house in the dark, camera firmly in hand.

Checking over her shoulder furtively to ensure no one had seen her, she continued on into Wester Drumlins.

She was quite content to wander through the house, snapping pictures here and there. Even in the dim, dreary lighting, though, she caught sight of something rather odd through the lens of her camera.

Be was written on the wall, partially obscured by old, peeling wallpaper. Sally couldn't help herself—holding up her flashlight, she tugged on the wallpaper, revealing Be was actually Beware.

An ominous feeling rose in her and she continued peeling back the wallpaper. The Weeping Angels read the next line, followed by Oh, and duck!

No really, duck!

Her breath caught as she read the next words: Sally Sparrow, duck now!

Some long-buried instinct had her bending down, then gasping as a piece of pottery landed on the wall and shattered mere inches from where her head had been.

She looked back, shining her flashlight on a statue out in the garden. It looked like an angel, with its hands raised up to cover its eyes. Was that the Weeping Angel? And why should she beware a statue?

Sally looked at it for a long moment, before turning back to the wall and peeling away the last of the wallpaper, furrowing her brow at the writing.

Love from the Doctor (1969)

~~~

Three weeks earlier

Mallory had never felt so far away from someone who was standing right next to her.

She had thought Matt was pushing her away in their last days in 1913... but compared to this, that had been nothing. Sometimes it seemed he could hardly stand to be in the same room as her. There was a look in his eyes, that she glimpsed all the time but very rarely caught a good look at—something guarded... almost haunted.

If eyes were the windows to the soul, it seemed he'd drawn the curtains and closed the blinds.

She knew him well enough to know he was hiding something from her.