The Shakespeare Code (Part 3)

None of the three spoke much until they had arrived back at the Elephant Inn. Shakespeare rinsed his face while the Doctor paced the room and Mallory stood leaning against a cabinet.

"The Carrionites disappeared way back at the dawn of the universe," the Time Lord finally said. "Nobody was sure if they were real or legend."

"Well, I'm going for real," Shakespeare said, straightening up and scrubbing his face with a towel.

"So what are they doing here? What do they want?" Mallory asked.

"A new empire on Earth," the Doctor answered. "A world of bones and blood and witchcraft."

"And how do they plan on doing that?"

"I'm looking at the man with the words," said the Doctor, his gaze on Shakespeare.

"Me? But I've done nothing," said the playwright.

"What were you doing last night? When the Carrionite was there?" she asked him.

"Finishing the play," he answered.

"What happens on the last page?" the Doctor inquired.

"The boys get the girls. They have a bit of a dance. It's all as funny and thought provoking as usual... except those last few lines. Funny thing is... I don't actually remember writing them."

"That's it," the Doctor said. "They used you. They gave you the final words. Like a spell, like a code. Love's Labor's Won, it's a weapon! The right combination of words, spoken at the right place with the shape of the Globe as an energy converter! The play's the thing!" He spun away, but quickly turned back to Shakespeare for a moment. "And yes, you can have that."

They found a map of the surrounding area and the Doctor pointed after a moment.

"All Hallows Street. There it is. Mallory, we'll track them down. Will, you get to the Globe. Whatever you do, stop that play!"

"I'll do it," Shakespeare said, shaking the Doctor's hand. "All these years I've been the cleverest man around. Next to you,I know nothing."

"Don't complain," Mallory said, a little teasingly.

"I'm not. It's marvelous. Good luck, Doctor."

"Good luck Shakespeare. Once more into the breach!"

"I like that," Shakespeare said to their retreating backs. "Wait a minute... that's one of mine."

The Doctor poked his head back in. "Oh, just shift!"

~~~

The two travelers emerged onto All Hallows Street. "All Hallows Street, but which house?" the Doctor said, looking around.

"Okay, possibly stupid question here," Mallory said as he looked. "The world didn't end in 1599, right? Because I'm right here, and I was born quite a bit after 1599 if you remember correctly."

"Oh, how to explain the mechanics of infinite temporal flux?" he said, exasperated. "I know! Back to the Future! It's like Back to the Future!"

"The movie?"

"No, the novelization," he snapped. "Yes, the movie. Marty McFly goes back and changes history."

"And he fades away..." she said, realization dawning on her face. "I'm going to fade?"

"You and the entire future of the human race. It ends right now in 1599 if we don't stop it. But which house?"