43. (Meet Mama Smith)

Start from the beginning

"MOM" I shout.

"Kitchen" I hear my mom says and we walk further to the back. My mom was over the stove cooking holding a glass of wine in her hand. She turns around and smiles at us. "Hey mom" I said going up to her and hugging her. "Can't even get here on time"

"Sorry" I said smiling at her then I look at Cameron. "Mom this is Cameron, Cameron this is my mom..." I start to say before my mom cuts me off.

"He doesn't know my name?" she says and I stare at her then look over at Cameron.

"Mom..." I say.

"It's only right, that your boyfriend knows his girlfriend's mothers' name. You know his moms name, right?"

"Mom..."

"What's his moms name Mel?" she says staring at me. I bite my lip and shake my head.

"Gina"

"Yes, it's Gina. I even knew that" she says and looks back at Cameron. "I'm Karen. Mr. Dallas, nice to meet you" she says. Cameron tries to smile but I can tell he's uncomfortable.

"Nice to meet you Karen" he says shaking my moms hand.

"You guys go bring your bags in the house" my mom says turning to the stove. I stare at her then walked away and Cameron followed me. When we got outside, I thought it was safe to talk.

"I told you, she's intimidating"

"Great to see she hates me already" he says grabbing our bags from the car.

"She does not"

"That was my fault. I should have asked you what your moms name was, and I apologize" he says.

"It's fine Cam" I said. We carry the bags back into the house and Cameron follows me down to my bedroom which was sort of like the basement, but it was made into an extra room.

"Wow" Cameron says looking around my room. He stares at the pictures on the wall of my old friends.

"Come on before she comes downstairs" I say grabbing his hand and we head upstairs to the kitchen.

"Smells really good Karen, what are you cooking?" Cameron says leaning on the counter. I smile at him and look over at my mom.

"It's Mel's favorite dish, do you know what that is?" my mom says. Unbelievable. Cameron bites his lip and looks down.

"Mom, I don't know what he likes to eat"

"Cameron is it okay if I ask you a few things?" my mom asked.

"Mom!" I said.

"Of course, go ahead" Cameron says.

"Do you know Melanie's brother's name? Or how about what city she's from? Do you know her middle name? Do you know Melanie's birthday? Do you know her favorite candy? Do you know the sports she use to play?"

"Okay mom" I said cutting her off and she looks at me.

"I know you know all of those answers about him" she says turning to the stove. "Dinner is done, we should eat" she said going to the cabinets and pulling out plates. I look at Cameron and he was looking down and I grabbed his hand. He pulls away and goes to stand by my mom.

"Melanie got me watching One Tree Hill, it's her favorite show. Her favorite color is red, and her favorite movie is 10 Things I Hate about You" Cameron says to my mom and she looks over at him and smiles.

"Yes I've seen her YouTube videos too. She's said those all on camera before dear" my mom says and I shake my head. "I made Mel's favorite shrimp casserole with my special sauce" she smiles at me and I smile at her. Cameron leans back on the counter. He's really trying. As we all sit down at the table, it was kind of quiet other than Scandal on in the background. "So did you get the invite to the awards yet?"