Chapter 19

Jep stared into the flickering fire without seeing. Tears that refused to flow rimmed his eyes. Gwendolise knelt beside him offering a small plate of food and some comforting words. Knowing they shared a special secret, the others left them alone, taking their meals away from the fire.

"I can't believe it," he choked. "To kill innocent people for a handful of stones..."

"You know it's more than that, Jep. I lost my parents too a long time ago. My father told me that our ancestors fled Balfour with some of the stones because they saw goodness and help in their powers. The King had the right idea; he just didn't know how to implement it. My father also told me about the Teachers and their blind lust to use the stones for personal gain.

You saw what Keebooten did in Nygard. Those people were all tricked into believing they were free and happy. Even when some tried to leave and the Duke had them jailed, they just didn't catch on." She set the plate down and made herself comfortable in front of the fire.

"What about your sister," he asked through gritted teeth.

"What can I say, she was- is simply a greedy, selfish person. My parents recognized this, that's why I was entrusted with the stones."

"She's a ruthless, heartless murderer!" Jep sank down on one elbow, sobbing.

There was no suitable response to his accusation so she remained quiet, staring at the fire and wishing she could comfort him. When the meal was finished, they cleaned up the site in silence, each finding a place to settle for the night. Mokum tended the animals and climbed into the back of the wagon, nuzzling down among Derrick's packs.

Gwendolise and Mary chose a nest of blankets beneath the wagon while the others spread out among the horses. Jep fell into a fitful dream with sleep an elusive wraith he could not grasp.

With the morning came a silver mist that hovered close to the earth, giving everything the appearance of beginning two feet above the ground. Streaks of grey released their grip on the blank sky as the promise of a sunny day emerged.

The campsite stirred with the grunts and groans of awakening and the group rose above the fading mist one by one. In the trees, the horses stirred, shuffling and snorting, their patient wait rewarded as Mokum scattered handfuls of hastily gathered grass around their hooves.

Derrick started a fire and the thick, damp air swallowed the clang of the pot he was using to prepare tea. Jep sat up holding the blanket and looking confused; his hip hurt where he'd lain on a piece of stone. Mary and Gwendolise arranged their hair and clothes behind the shield of a blanket before joining the others, propriety always finding a way despite circumstances.

Smoke from the fire curled up into the branches and the smell of Derrick's tea permeated the campsite. Gradually, they each found themselves squatting about the fire enjoying the hot tea and sharing whatever food they had that seemed suitable. Mokum offered his Huthwheat, chuckling when they all refused, watching him gobble down great handfuls from his pack. Finally, Mary broke the polite silence that held their tongues, asking Jep point blank to explain exactly what all the previous events meant.

With a wary glance at Gwendolise, he issued a reluctant sigh and recounted his knowledge of the history of the Stones of Balfour, finishing with a wave of his hand to Gwendolise. "That is my part to date. I have revealed things kept secret by my family for years. If you wish more, Miss Bogendancer will have to provide it."

Gwendolise agreed to tell her part, but before she did, Jep would have to show her that he indeed still held the Key in his possession. They already knew she had a share of the stones, plus those they rescued from the Duke. Too many tricks and schemes had come her way over the years to trust just anyone's word. Five pair of eyes fixed on Jep, following his every move as he withdrew the precious box from his pack.