Chapter Twenty-two

Start from the beginning

 "Kit?" she said weakly. I silently pleaded for her not to make a scene while she continued to stare at me in disbelief. I managed to glance sideways to gauge Lady Allenwyk's reaction to my grandmother's state of surprise. She appeared absolutely bewildered by my grandmother's utterance, her mouth opening and closing as if she was at a loss of words. I watched as my grandmother's face became wan and pale, and I dearly hoped she would not swoon. Quickly, I took her hand in mine, if only to silently reassure her that I was truly there and she was not imagining my presence.

 The myriad of guests nearby hushed their conversations, and the music went silent, as each pair of eyes turned toward the countess. "Perhaps we should take you outside for some air. It is quite hot in here, is it not?" I offered, not waiting for her to answer, and simply led her out the French doors leading to the terrace. It was possibly the only opportunity for me to explain to her what I could before the entire party would gather around.

 I led her as quickly as I could out to the terrace and down the steps leading to the gardens. Hoping that we would not encounter any lovers' trysts upon the way, I pulled her along until we reached a stone bench beneath the trees. By this time, it appeared that she had somewhat regained her composure. Before I could even think of how to begin to explain my situation she spoke, and quite forcefully for a woman of her age. "Why in the devil is Fanny calling you a bumpkin?"

 My mouth opened to answer, but immediately snapped shut as I saw the glare she pinned on me. I felt the wave of embarrassment wash over me, and knew that she would stop nothing short of scolding me as if I were a small child. "What in the devil are you about child?" she demanded.

 "Grandmama," I began in a pleading voice. As I spoke, I heard voices approach nearer, and hoped that they would not come upon us. "There is not enough time to explain now. Please, Grandmama, I will tell you everything later, but for now, we must act as if we do not know each other. It will be for best." She looked at me warily, disappointment edging its way into her gaze.

 The source of the voices came upon us all too quickly as I did not have time to say more. "Lady Wilmington is anything amiss?" asked the man at the head of the group.

 "Ah, yes, yes. Everything is quite all right. Leave it to a country rustic to know the benefits of a breath of fresh air after standing all night in a crowded ballroom," she quipped, leading to hushed chuckles amongst the group. I smiled sheepishly as she left my side and began to walk back to the house.

 I could not approach my grandmother once more as she was in constant attendance with a group of dowager matrons who clucked about her, worried that I might have spoiled her mood with my presence. I stood awkwardly and silently at the edge of the ballroom, watching the members of the ton comfortably take their place among each other. It was then that I realized that no matter how much I had changed, I never truly belonged in their social circles due my unconventional mindset. It seemed that tonight I was not the only one who did not feel part of the party, for many of the nouveau riche Americans were turned down when they approached conversation with the haughty lords and ladies.

 Sutherland, however, did not seem to be unapproachable as the others. He stood amongst a group of what seemed to be American entrepreneurs discussing business of some sort. I watched him as he spoke, gauging his reactions to their boisterous laughs at their own quips. All at once, while I observed him, he turned his gaze upon me. I could not read his expression, but I felt my face flush at the intensity of his stare. I nodded and turned away, hoping that he would not take my inquisitive scrutiny as a silent askance for his company. Lest he think I was in want of companionship, I hastily walked over to stand near a large potted plant of some sort against the gleaming rosewood panels.