Chapter 5: Battleship

Sunday. Sunday was God's gift to the fourteen women that make up the Team USA. Sunday meant they could turn their alarms off and just stay in bed all day. They could go out all day and not have to worry about missing a workout, or a practice, or a meeting, or a dinner. They could just... be regular women. Not a woman who had the weight of the entire nation on their back during the hunt for gold. Yes... Sunday was, most certainly, a special day.

It's been four days since Arizona joined the team, and it's her first Sunday off. Her body is stiff and sore, her joints ache and she has more bruises and jammed fingers than she can ever remember... but she wouldn't trade it for a thing. Yes, the training and the work is hard. But she's use to hard work. Yes, the team has been slow in coming around. But she's use to that too. All she can do is keep her nose down, and show the girls what the blonde can do... what she has brought to Team USA.

Rolling out of bed and twisting her upper body in either direction, a loud series of pops filling the air as her tired back releases its gases, she trudges out of her room and into the bathroom. After a couple days of living in the apartment, she found that Teddy isn't the worst roommate she could have been assigned to. Yes, the taller blonde isn't as neat as Arizona, but there is a bond that forms between two 'military brats'. Teddy's family comes from a long line of Army veterans, Teddy herself thinking about joining up but ended up deciding to represent her country in another way. And the Robbins family tree can track Service to Country as far back as the USA has been the USA... and even further. Since the boat landed on Plymouth Rock, a Robbins has been in uniform.

It's still early, as early goes on Sundays, and the rest of her roommates are still dead asleep. The faintest sound of Altman's snoring filters through her closed door, and silence exudes from the farthest side of the apartment. April has fully embraced the new blonde, but when it comes to her other roommate, Charlotte King, it's hard to figure out if you are a friend or not. Mainly because she is equally short and rude to everyone, she doesn't discriminate. But Arizona likes to think that King has been added to her 'Friend' column, rather than 'Foe'.

After her morning routine, brushing her teeth and washing her face, Arizona walks out into the kitchen to try and get some coffee going. Stacks of dirty dishes line the sink, and the blonde grumbles to herself that it's going to be like pulling teeth to get the other three to help clean up. But when the pitcher pulls out the coffee grind jar, she finds it is empty.

"Damn it..." She growls, then slumps against the counter. "How am I supposed to function without coffee?" The blonde asks no one. Remembering that the cafeteria doesn't open until 11 am on Sundays, the pitcher heads back to her room and throws on the first set of clean, non-workout clothes she can find. Quickly packing up her laptop and charger, she leaves her apartment and sleeping roommates behind as she goes in search of the closest coffee hut.

The sun is peeking into apartment 16 as Callie Torres rolls over in her sleep, and quickly falls to the floor of her living room. With a groan, she sits up and remembers why the Latina didn't sleep in her bed last night. To her left, propped up in one arm chair and long legs resting in the other, Erica Hahn is passed out. They stayed up late last night, reviewing their travel schedule and just talking. That's what they do... they talk. They hang out. They just... work. Sure, most of the team see's Erica as this Ice Queen, impenetrable and never satisfied. But for some reason, she and Callie get along great. Which is another reason they work so well as co-captains, and plan to lead their team to victory.

As the Latina wipes the crust out of her eyes, the sound of someone in the apartment above them opening and closing the door, followed by footsteps descending the staircase, enters her ears. Her brow knits together as Callie tries to think who on the team would be up this early on their day off. Turning her attention to her own apartment, Callie hears nothing but the occasional snore from the rest of her roommates. As of 1130 last night, Amelia was still MIA. And that's something that has become a more consistent theme with the brunette pitcher as of late. But she has yet to miss a practice or a team function, so Callie hasn't mentioned it to her coaches, instead deciding to keep an eye on the woman herself for the time being. The resident redhead of apartment 16 came barreling through the front door last night like her hair was on fire, and spent the next few hours stuffing her face with donut holes and muffins, telling everyone who passes by that she is going to get fat. Really fat. ...Gloriously fat. Callie couldn't get much out of her, other than the fact she and Derek Shepard had another fight. Which is ALSO becoming a theme lately... a destructive theme.