Twelve Hours

The letter stared up at Hong Kong, intimidating him, pushing him to take the next step. The date printed at the top of the letter lead Hong Kong to believe that it was far older than just a few days.

As was promised, China had permitted the Cantonese teenager to write to the police department helping out their Nordic friends, asking for approval to come north. The note had been written to him in the weird stick-and-loop handwriting that belonged to Iceland, but the message was rather complicated.

Dear HK,

Okay. I know, you're worried and all. But hey, if you want to come up here then there's no one here that'd stop you. Except for maybe my brother, but I doubt he'd do anything about it anyway.

It's so boring up here. Nothing's happening, and we're not gaining any ground on Denmark's case. We're constantly under watch, but I'm not sure which side I fear more—the police force or the kidnappers. It's hard to trust anyone at this point, I'm sure you can understand that. My brother and I have made some close friends in the police force that we trust, but yet everyone else is still a stranger to me. It's hard to explain. I feel eyes on me constantly, no matter where I am. I'm sure it's just cabin fever.

Come on up, since you asked. Now's a good time, I think. Well, it's better than any other time. You wouldn't be able to stay for very long, but it would be worth it. Maybe you could bring China, I'm sure you two would love to see some of the sights around here. I've gotta go—my brother's wanting me to check out a painting again. Probably the same one... yep, he's already shown me that one four times.

Whatever keeps you active, I guess.

Ice

China approached Hong Kong from behind, glancing at the letter. "Well? Are we going or not?" China was eating some traditional dish as he leaned over Hong Kong's shoulder, the invasion of his personal space annoying him.

"We might as well try. Ice needs... I dunno, support? More of a social life?"

China chuckled, patting Hong Kong's shoulder. "It sounds like what he's mixed up in is pretty dangerous. I'll let you stay for a few days, but that's it. I want you in and out of there as soon as possible, alright? That, and I'll be going with you." Hong Kong stared at China, surprise written across his face.

"Really? You want to go all the way north for someone you don't know?" The Cantonese folded up the letter and returned the paper to its envelope as he spoke, not daring to make eye contact with China.

China wrapped his arm around Hong Kong's shoulders before he could respond. "If this Iceland is a friend of yours, then yes, I'm willing to guarantee your safety and arrival if it were to make you happy."

Hong Kong sent China a small smile, as well as a soft "thanks, China." China walked away, and Hong Kong began packing his bag as soon as he was out of the room, making sure to have at least one jacket along. After all, winter was approaching and he didn't want to be caught up in a blast of cold northern air while up in Scandinavia. Part of Hong Kong hesitated, however. As his eyes rested on the photo frame on his bed stand his guts flipped. Iceland deserved so much more than to be frightened and scared, but it was destined to happen at some point. However, the older nations disappeared not because they were kidnapped, like Denmark for instance, but because they had entered their names into history books, had chapters and pages of writing that were focused on their lives, successes and defeats, and eventually their inevitable deaths, when their legacy was passed on to their successors. It had occurred with the Ancients and with a few of the current nations' siblings, such as Prussia, someone whose population believed to be dead.