Jeff and Jones

The Norwegian stared at the call history, the desperate attempts to talk to him, only to have gone immediately to voicemail. The house was in stunned silence, and Norway took a deep breath before he punched in "911". It was midnight, therefore two days without any contact to Denmark. This had happened once before and it had just turned out that Denmark had been at a friend's house but had lost his phone. Either way, Norway knew it was better to be safe than sorry.

"911. What's your emergency?" The receiver had a slightly scratchy voice, and Norway sadly found himself surprised that his call had been answered.

"I'd like to report a missing person," Norway responded, his voice steady despite the ever accelerating thump of his heart.

"When was the last time you saw the missing person?"

"Sometime two days ago. He left our home, and sometimes he'll show up after a day, but he hasn't answered my calls, and I believe his phone is dead."

"Alright, sir. We'll send out some patrols, but would request you to come to the police station." And with that, the person on the other line hung up. Norway shut the phone with a finality that would last two hours and slipped it into his pocket. Iceland was watching from the couch, and when he saw Norway walking to the entryway and grabbing his jacket, Iceland jumped to his feet and bounded next to Norway, grabbing his coat on his way over. Norway gave Iceland a stern look as he pulled on his jacket.

"You aren't allowed to come along, Ice. I don't want you to see this." Iceland stood his ground, however. Iceland's pet puffin flew onto his shoulder, Norway had no idea where the bird had come from, though.

"He doesn't give a da-" the bird began before Iceland clamped its' beak shut.

"Norway, I know you don't want me to see what's going on, but I have to be informed of things like this. You can't protect me from everything."

Norway groaned in exasperation. "Wouldn't it be nice if I could? Even if I thought I could protect you from things like this, it's evident that simply protecting you from it doesn't stop it from happening. So congratulations, Iceland, welcome to the real world. How does it feel?" Norway's voice was getting a sarcastic vibe, a hurtful, sarcastic tone he always got when even he, one of the most emotionless people, became upset. Iceland took a deep breath, keeping in mind that the hurtful sting he felt from the words only existed because of Norway's strained emotions.

"I don't want to go through this any more than you do, Nor. But I don't want you going through this alone."

Norway harrumphed and shot Iceland an unwavering glare.

"I can handle things like this on my own, Iceland." He then turned around and opened the door, and was just about to shut it behind him when Iceland shouted out "Are you sure you want me here all alone?" and Norway froze. Slowly, the door reopened.

"I'm not letting you come along because you won this argument, because you didn't. I'm letting you come along because you'd be safer with me." And with that, Norway and Iceland drove to the police station and entered the waiting room. Iceland, in the silence, fell asleep on Norway's shoulder, while Norway stared at the ground ahead of him. They stayed like this for awhile, until a sympathetic police officer came to them with two cups of coffee, one that was theirs' and one for Norway, seeing that Iceland was still asleep. The police officer bit his lip as he knew the silence was about to be broken.

"I'm sorry that you two have to go through this," the officer began quietly. "We'll try our hardest to find him, but it will take awhile. The station asks you to be patient. In the meantime, I don't have any paperwork I need to fill out, so I signed myself and my partner up to be your escorts." Norway furrowed his eyebrows at this.