Diving deeper

"What do you do in the palace all night?", asks Maa. I was feeding her a custard apple.

"I am teaching the Shehzada politics and training him to take up the throne".

"You stay all alone with the Shehzada for the whole night?" She looks at me shocked.

I just roll my eyes. "Maa, it sounds so wrong when you put it that way. I just teach him and he hasn't even seen my face". She relaxes.

"From where did you get these custard apples?"

"Allah has mysterious ways of rewarding people for their good deeds".

"And what are you going to do with the rest of the basket?"

"Give it to the Shehzada". She gave me a strange look.

"What less does a Shehzada have? Has his kitchen been looted that you are taking him fruit?"

"He isn't eating a single morsel except for the food I take him. His life is in danger. And I happen to know he likes custard apples. It will be a nice change from the naan* and daal* I usually take for him"

"From when have you started caring so much for a boy? The last time I checked, young men irritated you".

"They still do Maa. But Shehzada is not just a random young man. He is my student at present. And I am helping him just as I would have helped any other person in his place".

"So you say", Maa says closing her eyes.

I make sure to clean the backyard of all the poisoned food. I give the cat some milk and water and put her under a shelter in the backyard. After closing the gate and reading my duas* I carry the basket with me to the forest.

Crawling in the god forsaken tunnel was enough of a trail, pulling the basket along just added to the difficulty. Not to mention my sandals that might break anytime soon.

I try to tidy myself as much as I can in the cupboard. What will the Shehzada think of such muddy clothes? I can't do much so I just knock and walk in. I find him among papers and ink. We greet each other.

"Food first", I say preparing the table for him. I place the naan, daal, fruits and water I had carried all the way on the table.

"I am starting to realize the value of every single morsel and every single sip of water. I had to drink calculated amounts of water from the sheepskin bag you left me yesterday to make it last the whole day. My stomach rumbles with hunger and my mouth waters at the sight of the Shahi dishes. Yet I remain patient and eat only what you bring". He washes his hands and approaches the table.

"Saeed", he calls slowly turning to me. "Who are the custard apples for?"

"Since the table has been set for you and I have already had my dinner a sane person would presume they are for you Shehzada"

"Did you just get a random fruit or custard apples in particular?"

"Custard apples in particular"

"Why?", his voice barely a whisper like as if he was afraid of hearing the answer.

Why was he questioning so much and embarrassing me? Can't he just be thankful that he got his favourite fruit and eat it? It's making me look over thoughtful and over caring towards him which I am not by the way.

"Because Shehzada I happen to know for a fact that you love custard apples and pistachios. Not because I have done a research on you but because I saw lots of them on your table on my first visit. I would have got you pistachios as well had they not been so expensive. Let me clarify here that I did it only because I really appreciate the way you are working hard".