Bestie time

"Saira", I call her again. She turns around surprised trying to locate the source. She spots me walking towards her and stops to wait for me.

"Assalamualaikum", she greets me.
"Walaikumassalam warahmathullahi wabarakatuh", I reply.
"What are you doing here?",she asks clearly stumped by my unexpected appearance.
"I can ask you the same question", I tell her. She looks like as if she is considering her options. Finally she reaches a decision.
"Saeed let's go home and talk"
"Sure Saira"

We walk hand in hand. We may have secrets between us but there is something really enjoyable about taking a walk with your bestie.

"Assalamualaikum Dayima", I hug her.
"Walaikumassalam, it's nice to see you come over for a visit and not just to drop off baskets", she says.
I just smile in reply.

"How are you Saeed?", Saira asks once we are left alone.
"Alhamdulillah. How have you been Saira?"
"Alhamdulillah. You haven't talked to me since two weeks. Aren't you friends with me anymore?"
"I have just been busy"
"Busy with what Saeed?"
I was so preoccupied concentrating on Saira's follies to have noticed my own. I was to blame as much as she was. Even I had become distant since Shehenshah's death and the start of my mission.

"I am sorry Saira", I tell her. "I know I haven't been giving enough time to you. I have been working hard to complete Abbuji's dream"
"What is this dream Saeed? You always mention it but have never actually explained it to me".
"Do you remember how Abbuji died?"
"He fell down an animal trap during a hunting trip", she replies.
"It wasn't an accident Saira, it was a murder. I am trying to bring the murderer to justice. Not just for the murder he did but also for his every other folly"
"Who is this person Saeed?"
"Vahash", I say remembering Shehzada Firoz Shah's story. The look on Saira's face tells me she is blank. "Shehzada Firoz Shah calls him Vahash" I explain to her. Now she gives me a surprised look.
"You met Shehzada Firoz Shah? How? When?"
"I happened to be in the Shahi housing and found an opening connecting it to palace grounds. I met him quite by chance while he was playing".
She is impressed.
"Lucky you. You met a member of royal family".
What would she say if she found out I had met Shehzada Sher Shah as well? And that I am on very good terms with him? Or that I had spent 2 nights in the palace? Much as I would like to spellbind her I hold my tongue. It wasn't my secret to share. I am sure Shehzada Sher Shah wouldn't like his subjects knowing he was trained by a girl. I could just tell her my share of the secrets for they were mine and I don't mind her knowing them.

"I may have been lucky to meet a member of royal family but I don't think I am as lucky when it comes to bringing the Vahash to justice. It's taking all my time and energy Saira. This is the only reason I have been distant"
"I knew there was a reason why you were so interested in boyish things and martial arts. You were driven by your desire to fight for justice".
She is satisfied with my explanation. She doesn't prod me further on the topic as bravery and action don't interest her much. But I know exactly what will spark her interest.

"Saira, I overheard Seher Khala tell Maa that she is going to suggest my name to a boy called Zain for marriage". She squeals in excitement. Didn't I say she would be interested?
"Really? When did this happen?"
"Today morning", I say.
"So you are finally getting married"
"No way I am not! You know me Saira. Just because the elders end up discussing a guy doesn't mean I have agreed to their views."
"How could I forget it's Saeed I am talking to and not just a random girl. I wish to see the day when you just can't wait to get married"
"Keep wishing. What about you Saira? Shouldn't you be getting married by now? Shall I suggest some good boys to Dayima? Hang on. Dayima! Dayima!" I call out. "When are you getting Saira married?" I ask loudly.
"Saeed! Stop it now!", she hisses angrily. Yes! I had been successful in provoking her.
"Why, whatever happened Saira? Getting married is your dream. Why are you stopping me?", I ask feigning surprise.
"I don't want to get married right now", she says.
"You change your dreams like changing clothes Saira?"
"No it's not that"
"Then what is it?"
"Saeed, I... I...". I raise my eyebrows at her. "I want to marry someone in particular"
"And who is that?"
"Its... It's just someone I met at a wedding"
"Out with the full story! Come on! Spill the beans", I say moving close to her.