Chapter 18

It was as if time had frozen around Kurami, Naruto and Gaara. Everything was still and silent, as if the world knew this was a crucial moment for the three. Gaara's eyes were wide with hope, yet he was restrained by his fear, and didn't make a move. Kurami smiled understandingly and took small, slow steps towards the motionless boy, Naruto following behind.

When she was stood in front of him, she crouched down so she was at eye level  with the timid boy, who instinctively flinched as she reached out her hand and gently ruffled his messy red hair. Again, his sand didn't react at all, leaving Gaara shocked. Maybe she really wasn't going to hurt him. Maybe she really was telling the truth before. But...what if she changed her mind? He did hurt her, even after she had shown him such kindness. He had hurt her really bad, and then ran, scared. He had almost killed her, so why would she want to help a monster like him?

"Gaara," Kurami murmured softly, making him snap out of his thoughts and look up at her, startled. His sea-green eyes locked with her amethyst purple ones, and he noticed just how warm, comforting and honest they were. In her eyes there was no deceit, no cruelty, no fear and no hatred. She looked at him like he was a normal person, not a monster. She looked at him like he was an innocent child, not a murderer. She looked at him like he was family, not a stranger. Why?

"We are taking you back to Konoha, our village, with us. The Kazekage has given us permission to do so, relinquishing his role as your father. I know this is hard to take in all at once sweetie, leaving behind your village and family, but I promise you that you will be much happier." Kurami's hand moved from the top of his head, where she had previously been running her fingers soothingly through his tangled locks, to his face where she tenderly wiped away tears that he hadn't even realised were trailing down his face. Gaara hiccuped, his emotionless façade beginning to crack. "Please don't hurt me." He whimpered, eyes huge and watery, before yelping as he was drawn into a warm hug. He froze. No one had ever hugged him, not even his uncle. It was...nice. "I will never hurt you Gaara, or ever let anyone else hurt you." Kurami promised fiercely. Gaara closed his eyes after a few minutes, his tense frame relaxing as he realised Kurami really wouldn't hurt him. He cried. Years of pain and loneliness was making itself known, and once he started, he found it hard to stop.

Kurami held the trembling boy close, her heart hurting for him. Naruto stood at her side, his own eyes shining with tears. He understood Gaara completely. He knew how much the red-haired boy was hurting. He knew just how much it meant to him to finally have someone show him such love and kindness, such whole-hearted acceptance with no desire at all to hurt him. He knew Gaara finally felt safe and protected for the first time in his short six years of life. He knew Gaara felt all those things because Naruto also felt like that when his sister reached out to him too. It was the feeling of discovering that there was someone in the world that cared for them, that loved them unconditionally...like family. Naruto burst into tears and joined the hug, jumping into his sister's waiting arm which she had held out to him knowingly.

Kurami sighed, bringing the two, sobbing boys closer to her. She hugged them lovingly, encasing them within warm, protective arms that shielded them against the cruel world around them in their moment of weakness. She sat on the sandy ground, the two children huddling together against her, and smiled. They were her little brothers, her pack, her family, her life. She would never let them feel such sadness and loneliness again, not even over her cold, dead body...if it came down to that. Heaven nor Hell could ever hold her back if any of her two brothers needed her, she would fight the Devil Himself if that was what it took to protect her precious siblings.

It might seem strange how instantly she felt protective over Gaara and accepted him as her family, but she knew she would never regret it. It was instinctual and felt...just right, like it was meant to be. Pressing her cheek on top of Naruto and Gaara's heads, Kurami's eyes fluttered shut as she let them cry out their suffering and sorrow, her own heart silently crying along with them.