Chapter 15

Kurami's eyes snapped open and she abruptly sat up, only to bash her forehead with Naruto's, as he was hovering over her anxiously. Simultaneous groans of pain escaped both their lips as they fell back, clutching their heads. "Gomen Naru-kun, but what...what happened?" Kurami mumbled, looking around dazedly. She was in what looked like a hospital room: plain, white washed walls, rows of wooden beds with sickly looking people occupying some, medical equipment and nurses bustling about. "Am I in the...hospital?" Kurami asked, confused. She looked down at Naruto who was still sprawled on the floor, looking at her in amazement. He started tearing up and leapt towards her, engulfing her in a hug.

"ONEE-CHAN! I THOUGHT YOU WOULD NEVER WAKE UP!" He bawled as he cried all over her. Kurami was shocked, but she quickly recovered and hugged her little brother, rubbing his back soothingly whilst crooning into his ear. "Ssh, sweetie, ssh. What's wrong? What happened? Are you ok?"

Naruto sniffled and looked up at her with large, blue watery eyes. "The doctor s-said you were lucky to be a-alive. You were found c-crushed under massive amounts of sand, almost a-all your bones were broken and there was so much b-b-blood and I thought...I t-thought-" Naruto was cut off as his sister gently hugged him again. He shuddered in her arms as sobs wracked his small frame. "Please don't leave me nee-chan, please don't. Promise you won't?"

Kurami lifted his chin up with her forefinger and kissed his forehead lovingly. "I promise I won't leave you, not when you still need me. I promise." Naruto sighed in relief and his body slackened against hers, and Kurami realised he had fallen asleep. She smiled, then slowly shifted him to a more comfortable position against her side. He immediately buried his head under her arm and snuggled closer, instinctively seeking out her warmth. A nurse spotted Kurami awake and sitting up and immediately headed towards her with purposeful, brisk steps.

"Kurami Namikaze?" She questioned, glancing at the clipboard in her hands. Kurami nodded.

"Could you please tell me what happened? I'm a bit confused." Kurami said apologetically.

"That's alright." The nurse, a brown-haired, black-eyed woman, smiled at her kindly. "What's the last thing you can remember, dear?"

Kurami furrowed her brows in thought. "The last thing...I remember...GAARA!" She burst out, an image of a small, red-haired boy with pain-filled green eyes came to her mind.

The nurse looked unsurprised. "Of course, only that monster would do something like this. I'm so sorry for the pain you must have felt my dear, I have told the kazekage that that monster is too dangerous to keep alive. I knew it would hurt someone again and look, you were almost killed." Kurami's eyes narrowed, but she said nothing.

"You have a remarkable healing ability, I assume it's some sort of kekkai genkai. You were already almost fully healed by the time you were brought to the hospital but you seemed to have slipped into some kind of coma for three days. That sweet brother of yours didn't leave your side other than to use the toilet, wash or eat at our insistence. Poor dear must be exhausted." The nurse gazed at Naruto fondly.

"Thank you for informing me of what happened, would it be alright for me to leave as I feel better now?" Kurami asked curtly, angry at how the nurse had talked about Gaara.

"O-of course, you just need to sign out at the desk, then you're free to go." The nurse stammered, surprised at Kurami's sudden mood change.

Kurami nodded and slipped out of the bed, picking her brother up and cradling him in her arms. With a final curt nod at the nurse, she left the room, following the nurse's instructions before heading towards their hotel room. She had a lot to do.