Kayla

BASED ON THE TRUE STORY

**********************************

"I'll see you after school, kiddo. You make sure you go to school on time," the boy's Uncle said. 

"Yeah, see ya," the little boy said, closing the door after him. 

He went to the kitchen and poured his bowl of Froot Loops, and went to go watch a show on the TV when he spotted something shiny in the corner. 

It was his Uncle's .44.

The boy approached it, warily. He poked it. And after looking twice in both directions to see if his Uncle was still around, he picked it up. Then he stuffed it under his shirt, halfway in his jeans. The kids at his elementary school would think he was so cool. 

And when he had to leave, he hopped on the school bus, waiting to get to school so he could show everybody. 

He got there soon after. The school bell rang and all the kids flooded in the school. The boy hung his backpack on the rack and headed to his teacher's room. It was great being a first grader. 

"Now, class, we're doing art today. So I want you all to draw the best dog you can," the teacher smiled warmly. 

"Guess what?" the boy whispered to his friend beside him. 

"What?" He said. 

Then the boy pulled out his gun under the table. "Look."

"Cool," the other boy said with wide eyes. "Where'd you get that?"

"My Uncle. Watch."

The boy pulled out the gun and aimed it right in front of him, showing off the gun, and pulled the trigger to be cool. 

Then there was an inhuman scream and a brown haired girl with a pink t-shirt that fell onto the ground behind her. 

The teacher immediately snapped her neck, terrified, over to the boy. Then she put her hands over her mouth, in shock. "Oh my Lord..."

Soon the gun was pulled out of the boy's hand by the teacher, and she dialed in the school phone 911. 

The boy walked over to the girl, who was lying on her back, all the kids crowding in a circle over her. The girl had a huge hole in her chest, red liquid seeping onto her shirt. A few kids pointed and said 'gross'. The girl's hair was spread across the floor and she had a pale face. 

Then a couple teachers walked in, and more fast talking from the grown-ups. The teacher pushed everybody aside and tried closing up the wound the best she could. 

One kid threw up in the back, all over the art supplies. 

The boy furrowed his eyebrows. Was that from his gun?

"Kayla," the teacher begged. "Please, oh my Lord, Kayla...God....Jesus Mary and Joseph...Kayla, wake up, Kayla...Kayla!"

Kayla's eyes slowly flickered to the teacher and then stayed there, blank. She stopped moving completely and there was a massive blood stain underneath her clothes. The bullet went right through her tiny, frail body. 

Half the class started to cry. The boy knew the teachers were waiting for an ambulance. The bell rung and teachers ushered the other kids outside. The boy wanted to stay though. What was happening? Everything was so loud. 

"Kayla?" He asked. No answer. 

Then a teacher pulled him away from the sight and he left the room, to go outside. 

Three days later, his Uncle got a call from the school, and the police department, saying that his son shot another first grader,

                                      named Kayla.