5 | Remember (END)

Maggie lead her husband back to the Hilltop and immediately let him rest in bed. She decided to sleep in a cot next to him that night, giving him a little extra space. She wanted to stay close enough that she could keep her eye on him, but distanced enough that he could feel more comfortable around her and himself.

It was late in the night, the lights were out in the trailer, and the couple was sound asleep. She awoke to the sound of shuffling noises and then a loud, audible sigh from somewhere else in the room. From Glenn.

"You don't have to be okay with it, y'know. Being here, doing this. With them... with me..." Maggie said, breaking the silence.

"I... I want to be. I do. There's just that part of me that can't let go of that old life and move into this one. It happened so quickly," he stated.

"It would be easier if you had more time. Hell, it would've just been easier if I hadn't let you go on that run,"

"Was I good at it? Going on runs, I mean?"

"Rick told me that you had been the first one to ever volunteer for the group, in the very beginning. You saved my life on a run, once. You always brought back food when we were short and condoms for us when we were short, so yeah, I'd say you were pretty good at runs," Maggie chuckled with him.

It was strange for Glenn, to be talked about this way. It was like hearing something about someone else, and they weren't even talking about him.

"What are we gonna name them?"

"The baby?"

"Yeah,"

"I don't know, that's something we're still thinkin' about-"

"Hershel... maybe we could name him Hershel Jr, for a boy?"

Maggie smiled, "you remembered..."
"Your dad... your sister, the farm, the prison... The Governor... Terminus, DC..." Glenn smiled.

"Glenn?" Maggie asked, springing up from her bed to collide with his body, finally hugging her husband as she'd been wanting to since the crash.

He remembered. Glenn could remember seeing Maggie for the very first time, riding in on that horse, telling them what had happened and taking Lori. He remembered their first kiss and the pharmacy. He remembered the day he proposed and she had agreed to take his hand in marriage. The night he found her after separation from the prison attack in the tunnel and how close he's held her that night. Their first night in Alexandria. The day he found out he would be a father.

Glenn closed his eyes to remember that night he had been driving with his friends on their way back from a run and he exhaled sharply at the memory of the pain that had shot through him from the impact of the crash. Specifically recalling the promise to his wife that he had broke.

"I'm so sorry," he apologized, tears threatening to spill from his eyes and emotion filling his voice.

"You don't have anything to be sorry for, Glenn," she replied, arms still wrapped around him.

"I do. I shouldn't go around telling you that I'll be fine and then have stuff like this happen. I don't want your to remember me as the husband who never kept his promise. You know, I think I'm going to take a break from runs for a while,"

"Really?"

"Really. Maybe it'll give you, and me, some piece of mind, right?"

"Yeah... Glenn, you remember everything?"

"Everything, baby. Everything," he smiled, leaning in and finally connecting their lips.

They woke up together in the morning, and exchanged greetings before dressing themselves to begin the day. She began to explain to him exactly what had happened while he had lost his memory, and he suggested that they tell the others so there wouldn't be any confusion.

He walked out with Maggie, smiling at people and greeting them as they came until they ran into Jesus, Tara and Abraham.

"Guess who's back?" Glenn smirked to the three.

"Well I'll be damned," Abe chuckled.

"Finally," Tara hit him on the shoulder.

Jesus smiled.

"Happened last night. He's still experiencing some pain but he should be healin' up well," Maggie said.

"So you remember-"

"Yup."

"Alright," Tara tested, "what's my birthday?"

"June 27th but I forgot the year," he said confidently.

"He is back!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah," Maggie sighed, "he is."

This was a terribly short, terrible chapter that I will most likely edit later but I wanted to publish it now, since I haven't updated it in so long. Thank you guys for reading :)
-Me