Chapter 4 - Lonesome Town

Start from the beginning

Why did he get everything he wanted while she was made to feel like an unwelcome guest?  How did he get to be so lucky?  It wasn't fair he still had a parent who loved him while she'd lost both of hers, she thought bitterly.  And then she felt a wave of guilt come over her.  She wouldn't wish losing both parents on anyone, not even Douglas.  Once in her room, she fell on her bed and curled in a ball.  While her chest ached terribly, she wished she could just go home.

The next week was a flurry of activity, which meant Jess was left mostly on her own.  She'd become used to spending large parts of her day with Annie since there was so little to do in the house.  The two of them would talk for hours while Jess pitched in, helping her with cooking or cleaning.  But preparing for Douglas to be gone for the next two months meant Annie was busier than usual. 

Uncle Jonathon had given Annie the task of shopping for luggage and a new wardrobe.  Apparently Douglas wasn't allowed to go to Europe wearing the clothes he already owned.  That meant Annie spent long hours shopping or with Douglas as he tried on the things she'd bought, making sure they fit and he liked them.  The fact that Annie was almost as excited and happy as Douglas about his trip, made Jess feel even more alone. 

She knew it was wrong to be jealous of Douglas, but she couldn't help it.  She'd give anything to be able to spend the summer somewhere else.  When Uncle Jonathon had decided she wasn't going to finish the school year, she'd been glad she wouldn't have to face meeting new people and answering questions about her parents, but now she wished she'd tried to convince him to let her go.  If she had, she would've made some new friends by now. 

She'd even thought about asking him if she could invite someone from her old neighborhood to come for a visit, but quickly gave up the idea.  She knew he'd never agree to it.  With only Annie to spend time with, she was desperately lonely and as she thought about the coming summer months without even Douglas around, she was filled with dread. 

On the Monday after the last day of school, Jess and Annie stood outside to see Douglas off.  Even though Jess knew he probably would've spent the entire summer either gone or ignoring her, she couldn't help feeling sad, watching him say good bye to Annie.  The house was going to seem even more empty without him.  With his father's prodding, he mumbled a good bye to Jess without meeting her eyes and then climbed in the back of the car. 

"I'll be back by dinner time," Uncle Jonathon said tersely to Annie, before joining him.

When James drove off, Annie started crying and Jess took her hand.  "It'll go fast.  You'll see," she said, trying to convince herself as much as Annie.

"Sure it will, pumpkin," Annie said, smiling sadly while she wiped her tears with a handkerchief.  Leading Jess by the hand, the two of them went into the quiet, empty house.

At dinner that night, Jess was dismayed to see a newspaper and a stack of mail next to her uncle's plate when she joined him.  Was he planning to read through the entire meal again?  He held his hand out and she handed him her plate as Annie came in through the swinging door carrying a basket of sliced bread and a butter dish.

"Annie," Uncle Jonathon said, stopping her when she turned to leave.  "Now that Douglas has left and Jessica has settled in, you'll be going back to your regular work schedule for the summer."  Jess's heart sank as she looked up at Annie.

"Oh?" Annie said with surprise.  "Does that mean tomorrow –?"

"Yes, it means starting tomorrow!" he replied irritably.  "You don't normally work Tuesdays, do you?"

"No, sir," she said quietly, and turned to leave.

"Leave something for Jess to heat up for our dinner tomorrow," he added as he began sorting through the mail.