Chapter 15 - First Kiss

Start from the beginning

Kate and I wake up at 11 the next morning, and I stay at her house until 3:30, when her mum drives me back to my house. When she pulls up on my drive I get out and wave goodbye to Kate and Fiona.

'Thanks for having me! Bye!' I say.

They drive off down my street and I go inside to unpack. I need to go talk to Cody, but I'll wait until tomorrow. I've got a huge headache.

'Hey mum, I'm going to go lie upstairs for a bit. I've got a really bad headache. See you later.'

'Okay. Take some painkillers and drink plenty of water. Feel better soon.'

'Thanks mum.'

I go upstairs, climb under my duvet and switch on the first episode of NCIS that I recorded. BEST PROGRAMME EVER! If this doesn't make me feel better, I don't know what will. I feel my phone vibrate somewhere on my bed an quickly find it.

*Text Messages*

Alli Simpson: wanna come over and do something? I'm boreeedddddd! :( xxxxxx

Me: sorry, I'd love to, but I've got a migraine and I feel like a big pile of poo :( xxxxxx

Alli Simpson: awwww! Hope you feel better soon! xxxxxx

Me: thank you :) xxxxxx

I put my phone on the bedside table and go back to watching NCIS. I hear a knock on the door and tell whoever it is, that they can come in.

'Tia are you okay!? Alli told me you were ill?' Cody says as he kneels by my bed, checking to see if I'm okay.

'Im fine Codes, it's just a headache. I'll be perfectly fine tomorrow. But thanks for caring.' I smile.

'Mind if I stay? Just to make sure you don't die?' he jokes.

'Nope. I hope you like NCIS.'

'Never watched it.'

'Dude!? You have not lived!? Here, sit down.' I say as I move over to make room for Cody on the bed.

He sits down next to me and we watch the TV. About halfway through the second episode, I start to get tired and lean my head on Cody's shoulder. I feel him start to stroke my hair before I fall into that sleep where you know what's going on around you, but you're not quite awake. Cody lays me down and tucks me in under my duvet. He strokes my hair and wait. What!? I swear he just kissed me on the forehead!?

'Goodnight Tia.' he whispers before leaving the room.

No? It must have been someone else. Why would Cody kiss me?

I quickly fall asleep after that, hoping that I'll feel better in the morning.

I open my eyes and roll over onto my back, looking up at the ceiling. I realise quickly that my headache has gone, and then remember last night. I touch my forehead where Cody kissed me and remember his smell as he leant over me. Like vanilla and strawberries.

Woah. Snap out of it Tia!

I get up out of bed, and get ready. I need some fresh air to clear my head. I pull on a summer dress and put on my flip flops and a thin cardie before straightening my hair. I put on my usual amount of make up and my jewellery and set off to towards my usual spot; the hill by the woods. There's no one here this morning so I sit at the very top if the hill and look out at the houses. Not long after I arrive I hear some footsteps on the leaves behind me. I turn around to see Cody, bringing back the butterflies I get every time I think of him.

'I see you're feeling better?' he asks.

'yep, like I said. I'm absolutely fine today.' I smile

He sits down next to me and we sit in silence until my phone rings.

*Phone Conversation*

Me: hey Kate!

Kate: hi.

Me: you okay? You sound annoyed.

Kate: no. No I'm not okay actually. Why didn't you just tell me? I'm your best friend? Well I thought I was anyway.

Me: tell you what? I'm really confused Kate, what's going on?

Kate: I'll tell you what's going on. I saw him after I dropped you off. He walked right past my car.

Me: who did?

Kate: Cody! I know that you and him are friends! I know he's you're neighbour! And that doesn't bother me, it's the fact that you lied. That you didn't trust me.

Me: I'm sorry kate, it's just-

Kate: forget it Tia. Bye.

She hangs up, as a tear rolls down my cheek. Why didn't I just tell her. I've lost my best friend. The one thats been there through everything. My sister

Cody runs over to me and pulls me into a hug.

'Whats wrong Tia? What happened?'

'Kate. She found out about you and she's upset that I didn't trust her enough to tell her. Now I've lost her.' I say as the endless tears roll down my cheeks.

'Shhh, it's okay. It's my fault. I'm so sorry, I'll fix this. I promise.'

'Its not your fault Cody. You didn't do anything. I'm a horrible friend.' I say as I look down at my shoes.

'hey. You didn't do anything. Don't blame yourself Tia.' he says as he lifts my head up with his fingers under my chin.

I look up into his eyes as he wipes away a tear from my cheek. I stand there looking up at him, not knowing what to do. He rests his hand on my cheek and leans in. I lean in slightly as well until our lips meet and we kiss for the first time.

This is the moment I've wanted since I saw him on YouTube, and now it's finally happening. It feels like we're the only ones on the earth. No one else and nothing else matters.

We both pull away at the same time, and open our eyes.

'I umm. I'm err sorry. I've just wanted to do that for so long. I'm sorry.' he blushes and looks anywhere but at me.

This time it's my turn. I turn his head to look at me and kiss him again as it begins to pour with rain. We pull away and smile at eachother before running under the trees in the woods for shelter.