Untitled Third Book: Chapter 9

Start from the beginning

"I guess so." Parker scratched his head. He didn't like lying, but this wasn't his secret. "But you know he's probably already a week ahead anyway. And he said he had to change his flight so many times that he may just have to take a bus down here."

"Fuck that shit." Levi tapped his mechanical pencil on his desk impatiently. "Are you sure he just didn't want to spend some time away from Jeno?" He leaned closer to him. "You didn't hear it from me, but I saw him get into a huge fight with him before he left. I think it had to do with Theodora." His eyes lidded with devious intent. "Then again, I did see Jeno dancing with Penelope at his party."

"She said she was just asking why he broke up with her," Parker replied rather boredly. "And I'm not going to pretend that our relationship is perfect."

"Then why even bother with her?" Levi's eyes lifted to the woman walking toward the board. He fought the urge to sigh in contempt. Although he didn't have a beef to fry with Parker, he was hoping he'd at least be sort of helpful.

"Because it's none of your business." Parker brought his U.S. History book to his desk as if he'd ever read the damn thing. "You'd understand where I'm coming from if your parents allowed you to date."

"Well, I'm beginning to see why," Levi mumbled, folding his arms. Cowdry was now arguing with a student who wrote their essay on the Black Panther Marvel superhero. She groaned, masking over their conversation-interrogation thing. "Weren't you involved with Miren? She seemed a lot nicer than your Pen pal," he edged on Parker, watching his eyes light up with irritation. "Then again, she was probably as insane as Penelope's mean."

"You know what—"

There was a knock on the door, and Ms. Cowdry stopped her sketch of the Maslow's hierarchy of needs, because apparently this was a psychology class too.

"Well, look what the cat dragged in," Levi said with a small laugh as Miren took her seat in front of him after handing their teacher a pass. "Welcome back, Miles."

It took everything to wipe the hardened look on her face to offer him something that just barely resembled a smile.

"Miles?" Parker said as if he was seeing her for the first time in weeks. "How've you been, buddy? I didn't know you'd be back in today."

"I took a late flight last night." She rubbed the back of her neck as she took in the room, the faces of students staring at her face. It was the same as usual, yet she felt different. Everything was so different.

"A welcome is definitely in order," Ms. Cowdy then offered, clasping her hands. "Class hasn't been the same without you." There were some scattered voices in the air, but the instructor ignored them as a rare smile spread across her lips. In the same second, the harshness returned and she was back to the board. "Can anyone tell me how this illustration relates to the chief struggle of the 1960's social freedom and reform movements?"

Luckily the woman gave Miren a free pass, allowing her to pull out her notebook in peace. But because good things were short lived, there was another knock on the door. Ms. Cowdry caught a groan in her throat. A thousand voices had taken over the space when Jeno stepped in. Because his mood easily radiated off of him, the room fell into an almost bitter silence.

"Dr. Edsel wanted me to give you this folder," he told Ms. Cowdry, handing it to her. As she flipped through it briefly to make sure it was legit or something, his gaze landed on Parker, then Miren, who Levi was pointing exaggeratedly, but silently at. It took everything to keep his eyes from bulging out of his head.