Act II: The Reveal

Authors Note: Hello! I just wanted to thank all of you for reading so far. This is the second and last part of the story, and there will be 39 chapters in total. It's a long story as to why the story is listed as complete, but I can assure you that I will be updating at least every 1-2 days, and that the entire story should be up by the end of the month. Thanks again. :) 

Chapter 22

Although the students around Miren were buzzing with excitement, they weren't particularly vocal about what was so exciting. Even Ms. Cowdry appeared less hostile than usual. She only assigned a three-paged single space paper on the Equal Rights Amendment. Due tomorrow.

But Miren wasn't bothered by this. She was bothered by the fact that Jeno hadn't enlightened her any further on the plan to take down Penelope. After all, he knew she was in no position to have secrets kept from her. The whole pre-initiation capture attempt? She could have been exposed. Again.

Then again, she was forgetting that she was technically imposing on both him and Wallace.

Fortunately, things were beginning to become natural to Miren. At least, when she didn't think about things too hard. She was no longer stumbling over her shoes or speech. She had gotten over her shaved head. She had somehow assimilated.

But that didn't mean that she wasn't eager to see what all of the hype was about. Tapping her fingers impatiently on her desk, she tried to contain herself as she waited for calculus to end. It didn't help that her instructor was being especially boring today.

"Good afternoon, students of Rinzen Academy." Headmaster Edsel's voice rang vibrantly through the intercom. "You up for a little field trip?"

Field trip? Miren's thoughts were clouded by the cheers of several other students.

"Good to hear," he said after a pause, as if he could hear them. "Everyone is excused from class. You will report to the founder's fountain. There, you will be led by your instructors. Now disperse!"

Shuffling feet, rustling backpacks, and excited voices filled the air as the students left the room. It was a crisp October day, and the sun, sitting visibly in the sky, warmed the air. Miren straightened the collar of her blazer. It was a nice day to have a field trip. Wherever they were going.

They made it to the fountain and joined the rest of the student body. Miren stood on the balls of her feet, trying to see above the crowd. Even though she was tall for a girl, most of the guys in her class towered above her, making her feel trapped. As if on cue, Headmaster Edsel, with a bullhorn in hand, emerged from the main office building. The students cleared a path for him.

"Okay, boys," he began, with the bullhorn to his lips, "we'll be going to the Arc. It's a brief walk, half way between here and Rosemunde." He was pacing the crowd now.

"Upperclassmen with me. Underclassmen with their instructors. Anyone who deviates from the crowd will be punished accordingly."

The groups began to assemble as the black gates of Rinzen opened.

**

Miren was toward the front of the crowd, a few paces behind the headmaster leading them. She searched the group, looking for some familiar faces, though she wasn't too surprised when she couldn't find them.

"Miles," Headmaster Edsel summoned. "How are you adjusting?"

Miren's eyes rose, before she jogged up to his side. She shrugged. "I can't complain."