Chapter 14

Lisa's perspective

I must have heard him wrong, but looking at his horrified face I know I heard him right and it's clear he didn't mean to ask it. The longer I take to answer him, the more his face falls. I know I love him but this isn't exactly the place I wanted to have this conversation.

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes, I love you."

"Like a husband or a friend?"

I can see he is trying to remain calm while he is waiting for my answer, just as I opened my mouth to speak we were interrupted by Luke.

"Your majesty, the King would like a word with you."

"Can't it wait?"

"No Son, it can't."

We both turn to find the King standing behind Luke, "Lisa, this conversation isn't finish."

"Didn't think it was."

I watch as the three of them leave the room, I get up to take the plates back to the kitchen but realise in the process that I don't know what happened to Zane. I walk into the room towards the door, pulling it open I called Ian.

"Yes Princess?"

"Where's Zane?"

"Why?"

"Ian!"

"Custody."

"Police custody?"

"Yes, why?"

I can feel my whole-body relaxing, "Does that mean I can go to the kitchen?"

"My orders are still the same, stay with you except when you are in the room."

"Okay, give me a moment, then we'll head down."

"Yes Ma'am."

I close the door, before leaning against it, he's gone, that means I'm free. No more looking over my shoulder, no more having Ian with me every second, things are back to normal. Why doesn't that please me? I don't want normal, I want Wayne. Instead of dwelling on the thought of how amazing it would be to be his real wife, I got up and got the plates. Once I had them I walked out of the room, Ian took the tray from me.

"That's not necessary."

"I was raised to help a lady."

"Ian, one day you'll make a lady very happy by being her husband."

"I hope so Ma'am, but until she comes, I'm more than content here."

"Good to hear, would hate to lose you. On that note, thank you for everything Ian."

"Pleasure Ma'am, I'm just sorry I was sometimes a bit too late."

"Things happened this way for a reason, don't worry about it."

We walk down the steps towards the kitchen, after the steps we rounded the last corner, I walked into Wayne. He reached out to steady me, "Thanks."

I thought he would let go but he didn't, Ian noticed and said he was going to the kitchen. I was just about to ask why he would leave us alone when I noticed Luke behind Wayne at a safe distance.

"I was just about to head back up, something came up, so much for a relaxed day with you, promise me we will talk tonight."

"We have dinner with your parents tonight."

"I forgot about that..."

He doesn't look very eager to have dinner with them, "Can we at least have dessert alone?"