Chapter One

Sam's P.O.V

She stands there in the crowd with a long, flowing, eggshell white dress — as beautiful as can be.

I can't believe that Anna is married.

She has been my best friend for as long as I could remember. I know her better than any human alive. I know all her strength and weaknesses - probably because I was there when she was discovering them, making mistakes and learning from them.

I remember when we were fourteen and would practice kissing in her bedroom closet.

And now she's married.

I take a few small steps through the crowd, towards my friend. The bride's dark type four hair is braided in an updo, her baby hairs groomed to perfection.

"Congratulations," I smile.

"Thanks," Anna says sarcastically, her chocolate brown eyes looking directly in mine.

"What's wrong?" I ask concerned.

"They forgot to put the champagne on table three!" She announces in a distressed tone, "my whole wedding is ruined! What was the point of getting married!"

I sigh.

Typical Anna.

Overthinks and worries excessively.

That's why I'm her bridesmaid, despite the fact that we haven't been close since high school. I'm one of the few people that can help calm her down when she gets stressed.

The last eight years have been rough on our friendship. So helping her out with her wedding was the least that I could do for her.

"Anna calm down, take a deep breathe" I sooth, breathing with her, "and remind yourself that you love Fred and getting married today was the best decision you've ever made"

"But what about table three's champagne?" She asks, releasing her deep breath.

I half-smile while looking down at the table card that sat in my warm palm. It reads table three.

"You know what, I'm seated at table three" I rub her shoulder, "so why don't I go to the bar and get the champagne?"

A smile washes across the bride's face "That would be great thank you"

"No problem" I nod before twisting my heels in the opposite direction.

It takes me a moment to locate the bar, across the hall. I walk through the crowd slowly, avoiding eye contact with everyone that I recognize. I look down at my baby blue, spaghetti-strapped, long bridesmaid dress.

When I arrive at the bar, I see my favourite bartender behind the counter.

"Hey, Bobby" I greet the man.

His brown hair is freshly cut, with the sides short, the top long and gelled. The black button-up shirt that he's wearing is rented and so is the black slacks.

"Here to check up on us?" He licks his lips.

I look into his Hazel eyes and see our history playing out in front of me.

He's doing a good job at pretending. I taught him everything that I know.

Unfortunately, this is a charade that I have forced him to play. He's not a participant voluntarily.

"No actually, but it seems that I should have" I half-smile.

"Oh yeah, why's that?" He asked with a seductive, flirtatious grin.