Ysabella nearly groaned in frustration. She hated the words little and one in one sentence. "You keep breaking my heart, my lord. I am starting to truly feel the effects, if you must know." His eye twitched as she moved closer, breaching acceptable distance between two unmarried individuals of the opposite sex. "Tell me again why we cannot be?"

She smiled when his face showed frustration. "For one, your brothers will hang me," he uttered through his teeth, nearly hissing.

Ysabella blinked. Of course, it was her brothers. But it was better that he detested their reaction than detesting her, she thought. "They might beat you, but they will not hang you. How do you fare with beatings?"

"They will never allow it," he uttered dryly.

"They allowed Lord Devitt to marry Margaret. After they beat him. Do you bruise easily?"

His face contorted with discomfort, slowly turning scarlet. She could not tell whether or not he was angry or embarrassed. Both did not seem good, of course, so Ysabella chuckled and decided to let the man go for now.

"I am merely trying to make a point, my lord, do not fret," she uttered, slowly stepping away from him. "I have not asked you to marry me, you know. I simply asked why you think we cannot be." She tore her gaze from him and looked around. "I have attracted attention once again, I fear. My apologies," she said with a curtsy. "I hope to see you around. My dance card is empty. Would you like to sign your name?"

His eyes narrowed, making the deep blue depths even darker.

With a dramatic sigh, Ysabella said, "As I have guessed. Of course, you will not. Very well, have a nice evening, my lord. I shall see you around."

*****

Wakefield let out a sigh of relief when Ysabella Everard finally turned around and walked away. His eyes followed the young girl for a few seconds, taking in the sight of her.

He must admit that the chit was indeed beautiful as most of the Everards are. But she was way too young, too immature for his taste. He could easily find an easy woman to bed with the same dark hair, green eyes and full lips. He could not know what she was like under that heavy gown, but he was certain there were enough women out there who could offer better rewards. He could easily dress the same woman in black gown and satisfy his urges.

He needed not one Ysabella Everard to fill his nights. Or his future, he added in his mind with a shiver.

What he needed was the woman behind those letters, the woman who wrote with such maturity and kindness, and the woman who had showed him selflessness and love for all things simple, dangerous and mysterious.

The woman whose mind and heart he wanted to claim.

Ysabella Everard was no Lady Weis. She was an Everard, rich and spoiled. She grew up with naught but pretty things fed to her without question.

Taking his eyes off the chit, he turned around to find his mother looking at him with amusement. With a groan, he took the first step to escape this dratted ballroom.

If Lady Weis was not here, then he'd rather spend his time with fellows who cared naught for all these dashing extravaganzas.

He escaped to one of the gaming rooms.

*****

Ysabella sulked in one corner while Aurora and Emma talked with Nicholas who seemed to have found refuge from the desperate girls and their mamas in the presence of the two young ladies. For a moment she watched while her brother closely studied Aurora as she spoke, his eyes traveling to her mouth.