In reality, I was missing Zev. I was scared that our friendship was over. When he left with Hanna, he had looked at me like he didn’t care about our friendship anymore. It had hurt me a lot.

“You’re not,” Layton told me, knowingly.

“Zev’s my best friend, Layton. I don’t want to lose him,” I said, my voice cracking as I spoke.

“But you have Tyler, and Jared,” Layton reminded me. I was about to argue with him for only mentioning people from his pack, until he finished his talking. “Hell, you even have Micah.”

His mention of Micah made me smile. I knew it must’ve taken an effort on his part to mention him. Layton practically disapproved of Micah as much as he did of Zev.

“It’s not the same thing, but thanks,” I told him, kissing his bare chest.

He was only wearing the basketball shorts, and I hadn’t realized how intimate our embrace was with how little clothing we were both wearing.

“You were kind of mean to Hanna,” I told him, scolding him lightly.

In all honesty though, I felt relieved that Layton hadn’t even tried to befriend Hanna. It made me uncomfortable to say it, but Layton was right. Hanna was a bitch, and she was mean. I couldn’t understand how Zev would be interested in a girl like that. It didn’t seem right.

“I thought she would’ve been different,” he shrugged. “Zev is really attached to you, as much as I hate to admit it. I expected the girl to be something like you.”

I frowned at that. “What is that supposed to mean?”

“Nothing bad,” Layton said, grinning down at me. “I guess I’m just wondering why Zev puts up with her shit. She isn’t his mate, so he doesn’t have that excuse.”

I had been wondering the same thing. I had nothing against Hanna, other than the fact that we didn’t get along. I assumed Zev must really love her though.

Layton put his hand under my chin and made me face him. The loving look remained in his eyes, which were swirling with a molten dark coal color.

“I love you,” he said to me, before leaning in for a kiss.

I kissed him back. As soon as my lips brushed against his, I felt the electricity igniting between us. He wrapped his arms around me, raising me from the ground and leaving my legs dangling in the air.

I chuckled in between the kiss and it made him pull away. He looked at me for a second, before laughing along with me.

“I love you back,” I said to him, wrapping my arms tighter around his neck and kissing him once again.

I waited in Layton’s room for the celebration to start. I had showered and changed into a navy blue dress with some white flats. My hair was straightened down, only decorated with a diamond encrusted pin that had a pair of wings.

John and Beth, Layton’s parents, had given me the pin as a gift. The wings symbolized what I was— a Legen. I thought it was really nice of them. It was a very thoughtful gift.

Even though Beth insisted on waiting with me in Layton’s room until the celebration started, Layton made her leave, saying we had some things to talk about.

Layton was barely taking a shower, since he had been out and about, preparing the things for the party.

Earlier, John had asked me if he could tell the pack about me. He wanted to share that I was a Legen and for them to know about my gifts.