"You're nothing! You have been nothing to me Sharon! You just put me in your home and let me starve every night without a proper meal! You didn't become my family, you just became a person who kept me under their roof and gave me a curfew! Don't act like you know me one bit!" I screamed, my voice cracking terribly as I it went up an octave.

I felt Evan's grip tighten on my hand, tugging me back lightly.

"Peyton shut it! I'm the adult here-"

"No! No! No I won't shut it! Stop acting like you can control me when you can't. You can't control me," I spoke as I broke down, the tears completely falling from my eyes. "I don't even wanna be here anymore," I sobbed. "I don't wanna be here!"

I let go of Evan's hand and dropped to my knees in complete and utter hurt. I felt light headed and extremely dizzy. My hands waved around, threatening to catch me if I fell. My hands then cupped my eyes as I sobbed, feeling beyond hurt by Sharon's actions.

Evan grabbed my shoulders, telling me to get up.

"You okay," he mumbled.

"I'm-I'm just dizzy," I choked, feeling my eyes tighten as everything turned white slowly. I held my head in pathetic attempt to make my head feel better.

He spoke quietly and I eventually stood up and cried into his chest- until I realized how truly pathetic I was being. I stopped crying in an instant and whipped around to stare at my Aunt who was looking at me in disgust.

"You're truly a bitch, Sharon. I don't unerstand how you're even related to my beautiful mother," I spat before grabbing onto my unzipped tote bag then Evan's hand and pulling him through the doorway.

Before I ran down the stairs, I stopped and turned around to look at my Aunt who was crying by the doorway.

"I don't ever want to see you again, Sharon."

Sometimes walking away is the best thing you can do.

***

"Hey Peyton, you want to stay in the car?" Evan asked, placing his warm hand on my thigh.

I shook my head against the window as Evan sighed and left the truck. He went down to his house to grab his things like we had planned. I waited in the car with dry tears irritating my cheeks and eyes. I rubbed at my swollen eyes and watched as he opened the door to his home and was approached by his mom, giving him a big warm hug.

I sniffled, watching how happy they were. She planted a kiss on his cheek and smiled. I never really understood how understanding his mother was. She was so accepting and was only rude when she needed to be. His mom was like my mom and that made me miss my own mother even more.

The door closed as I looked away and stretched the sleeve of my sweater onto my eyes, wiping away the fresh tears. I let out a shaky sigh, feeling my eyes close gently. It felt like hours before the door of the truck slamming shut shook me up from my daze.

"You ready to drive back?" Evan spoke gently, placing his bag in the back seat.

"Yeah," I mumbled back, feeling exhausted.

Noticing my effortless response, Evan grabbed onto my chin, lightly but roughly at the same time. He made me look into his beautiful eyes and my chin wiggled as the tears threatened to fall from my eyes; all over again.

"Peyton, stop crying," he mumbled gently, coming closer to me.

"I can't promise you that," I whispered back, my eyes dropping to his lips that were screaming at me to kiss.