Chapter 6: Men In Black Don't Bite

"So did anything interesting happen in school today?" asked Tina as she and her daughter finished up their mac and cheese.

          Livia thought through her answer during her mouthful of food, "Well you know my new friends?"

          "Who? Mr. and Mrs. Silent Hill?" joked Tina.

          "Mhmm." said Livia, smiling, "They invited me to go with them to this all-age goth club on Saturday night."

          "Sounds like fun." said Tina, "What's it called?"

          "Apparently its called Demon's Hole."

          Tina giggles, "Sounds cool. My friends and I used to go to a club called Dracula's Dregs every Saturday."

          "Cool." said Livia, smiling at how alike her mother she was.

          "Yeah. Well did you give them our address? Or are you meeting them there?"

          "I was gonna text them our address after I checked with you." said Livia.

          "Ok." replied Tina, "Well you do that and then can you do me a favor and put all the stuff away in my bedroom for me while I clean up and put stuff away in here?"

          "Sure mom." said Livia, leaving her bowl in the sink then going into the hall and into her mother's bedroom.

          As she was piling the contents of the boxes on her mother's bed, she heard the doorbell ring.

          When the door opened, she could faintly hear her mother's voice and a man's voice she didn't recognize. Quietly, Livia inched her way closes to the door, where she couldn't be seen but was within earshot.

          "I told you already. No." said her mother, her tone unusually hostile.

          "Tina, we could be of great help to you." said the man, his voice smooth and cold, like running water. Livia wondered how he knew her mother's name.

          "Get out of my damned house." she snapped suddenly, her voice very hostile.

          "This is your final word?" the man asked calmly.

          Tina didn't respond, but Livia could tell that her response was perfectly evident in her facial expression.

          "Careful Christina, our world is very unforgiving of arrogance." said the man, and moments later the door closed.

          Livia stepped lightly back into her mother's room and picked up where she had left off, trying her best to look inconspicuous. Moments later Tina walked in.

          Livia turned to face Tina, "So who was it?"

          Tina's expression looked grave, "Uh, some bible freak trying to get us to come to his church."

          Livia nodded and returned to putting things away, not entirely convinced of her mother's words.

          "I'm gonna go fetch some groceries." said Tina, "Can you finish up here please?"

          "Sure mom." replied Livia.

          She put the last few things away as her mother grabbed her keys and walked out the door.

          Goddamn, how'd they find us?

          Livia froze and spun around.

          She was sure she had just heard her mother's voice, clearly.

         Walking into her room, she looked out the window at the street below. Her mother's car was gone, and standing on a sidewalk across the street from her apartment, was a man dressed entirely in black, with long brown hair coming down to below his shoulders.

          When he saw her looking out her window, he smiled and waved.