Chapter 2: New Beginnings...Again

"Miss... Livia Olympia Huntley?" said Mr. Wolfe, staring at Livia over her transfer papers.

          "Yes." she responded, annoyed.

          Wolfe nodded slightly and scanned the sheet again with avid determination, as if expecting to see a criminal record somewhere. Livia tried her best not to sigh in annoyance.

         Finally, he looked up at her.

         "Now listen to me. I'm not sure what mediocre simpletons ran your previous schools, but here we have a zero tolerance policy. Keep yourself in line or you might find yourself transferring for the fourth time. Do I make myself clear?"

          Livia nodded, her expression blank. I feel bad for this guy's kids, she thought.

          "Good." he said, glaring at her like she had just struck his grandmother. "You may go now. Your Homeroom is with Mr. Barrett. Follow this path."

          He opened a map of the school out in front of her and traced a path to a room with his pen. Mumbling her thanks, Livia took the map and walked out of his office.

          Great, another troublemaker.

          Livia froze and looked behind her. Wolfe's door had closed, and yet, she had heard that sentence clearly, as if he had been standing beside her.

          "Something wrong, honey?"

          Livia turned back around. Mrs. Johnson, the secretary, was looking at her with a worried look on her face.

          "No." said Livia finally, "Nothing."

          She walked out of the office and into the main hall, still puzzled by what she had just heard.

          Maybe I only thought I heard it, she thought. He seems like the kind of guy who would say that, so I probably imagined him saying it.

          She found the door marked with the same number as the one on her schedule, and stepped through it into a classroom.

          A man with black hair and glasses was sitting at the teacher's desk, his brown eyes fixed on The Mortal Instruments: City of Glass, and the expression on his face as he read almost made her giggle. Sheer pain, like he was somewhere between screaming and crying.

          "Um..." she said, "Mr. Barrett?"

          He looked up from his book momentarily, "Yes?"

          Seconds later he looked up again, and his gaze remained on Livia.

          "Oh." he said, "Miss Huntley....um, yes, hello." He shook her hand.

          "I am Mr. Barrett. Uh...you're in my Homeroom. Uh...please take that seat over there by Eldric." he pointed to a boy in the back of the room with long black hair, who raised his hand slightly.

          Livia walked to the back and sat down at her assigned desk. The room was empty except for her, her black-haired neighbor, their teacher, and two others.

          Minutes later, more people began streaming in. One large group of laughing girls and smirking boys filling in the spaces in the room until it was full, not many people bothering to glance at the new girl, and Livia was grateful for it.

          Mr. Barrett, closing his book, stood and took attendance, and started going through announcements.

          "Firstly, its Mr. Wolfe's birthday this Saturday, so be sure to wish him a happy early birthday." read Mr. Barrett, "He's turning 46."

          "In dog years." Livia heard her neighbor whisper, seemingly to himself. She stifled a grin.

          "The fall sports tryouts start this Friday." he continued, and three-fourths of the room perked up, and they all started dive-bombing Mr. Barrett with questions.

          "Alright! Alright!" he said, seconds later. Whatever questions you have can be answered later today."

           He was regarded with curious stares.

          "What?" he said, "Have you all forgotten? Today's the Extracurricular Activity Fair. All the coaches will be there."

          A girl in bright pink at the front of the room raised her hand.

          "Who's coaching what?" she asked.

          "Same as last years. Ms. Ethelinda is in charge of Cheer Squad, Mr. Salem is coaching boys' and girls' soccer, Mr. Morgan is coaching football, and for those with musical inclinations, Mr. Jimenez is in charge of Marching Band."

          Moments after he had finished, the bell rang and the class began filing out the door. As Livia and Eldric began making their way to the front, Mr. Barrett walked over to them.

          "Ah. By the way, Eldric." he said.

          "Yes?" responded Livia's black-haired neighbor.

          "Could you please show Livia around the building? It can be a little confusing. I'll write you two slips for next class."

          "Sure thing." responded Eldric. "Will you be in charge of the Book Club this year, sir?"

          Mr. Barrett smiled, "Yes I will. I hope to see you there Eldric."

          Turning to Livia, Mr. Barrett said, "Are you interested in books, Livia?"

          She smiled, "I love books."

          "You should join book club." said Mr. Barrett, "I help get students in touch with good reads. I specialize in Fantasy, but if you're interested in Horror, Eldric's your expert."

          Eldric snorted, "Oh please. Anyway, meetings on Wednesdays after school?"

          "As always." he responded, "Anyway, here are your slips."

          He signed two small slips of paper and handed them to Livia and Eldric, and the two gathered their things and walked out the door, , and Livia thought she heard Mr. Barrett's voice saying,

          Those two look so cute together.