III. Let the Chase Resume

Start from the beginning

Ysabella turned to her brother with a surprised smile. Nicholas slanted his green eyes down at her and added, "He is perfect for her." Ysabella scowled at him while Aurora and Emma chuckled.

"Thank you for your unwanted opinion, brother," she snapped, lifting her chin. "But I can very well decide for myself whom I marry."

"Who? Wakefield?" Nicholas asked, following his question with a roaring laughter.

Ysabella's smile tightened into a grim line. She must stay calm. Her family had never taken her advances toward Wakefield quite seriously. In fact, they, with the entire population of Wickhurst, all believed, save for Emma, that she had merely been making fun of the lord.

"Lord Wakefield may not be the only person out there," she said, pulling at her skirts as the carriage slowed down. "Who knows, brother, I may find myself a more suitable man—far better than Lord Nimrod or Wakefield."

Nicholas gave a snort. "I suggest you take Nimrod now, Ysa, before he and others discover someone else much younger than you."

"Oh, truly? And whom might you be speaking of then? Aurora, perhaps?"

Nicholas stiffened and Ysabella did not miss the look he stole Aurora. "Among others, yes," he replied, clearing his throat. Aurora's face had turned scarlet. Emma threw her a wink of approval. Their mother, entirely ignorant of their secret glances said, "We are here. Best we go straight to our chambers and freshen up before the ruckus begins."

Ysabella climbed out of the carriage with a smile. She had not seen Wakefield for months. He had been very good in evading her presence.

But not at Theobald's, Ysabella said to herself with quiet confidence.

*****

"I am very pleased that you have gracefully agreed to accompany me here," Lady Hayward said as Wakefield guided her toward the first ball of the Theobald party.

He did not mind accompanying the woman, really, but this very weekend party had a reputation of producing marriages, most of them forced or accidental. That very idea drove most eligible bachelors to the gaming rooms outside the ballroom and that was the very first place he was eagerly planning to escape to the moment he delivers his mother to her friends.

"You ought to consider finding someone you might want for a wife, darling," Lady Hayward said beside him, leaning her blonde head closer so she could maintain her whispered voice and still be heard. "Before that sweet Everard girl succeeds," she added with a smile.

"I would not wish to discuss her, mother. You very well know what I think of her. She is my friend's younger sister. She's a child who cannot still grasp what she truly wants."

"A child?" Lady Hayward chuckled. "William, dear, have you not seen the girl of late? She has suitors tailing her at every turn and yet you still see her as a child! Goodness gracious, son, are you blind?"

"She is too young for me, mother."

"So was your great grandmother when she married your great grandfather. He was twenty years older."

"And she went off to run away with a lover," he finished.

"Hmm. I must not have mentioned them after all," his mother murmured. "But if I must be honest, son, I would not mind in the least if Ysabella Everard should be my daughter-in-law." She tilted her head up at him to meet his deep blue eyes. "But I do mind that you do mind it greatly. So be assured that you shall not find me pushing that sweet girl at your direction."

"Then perhaps you would be so kind as well to limit your time entertaining her every Friday," he hopefully said.

"Not a fair chance, dear. I immensely enjoy her company, as well as that of her sister, Emma. I merely wish you would give her the chance to entertain you. You shall find her to be quite fun, really. Do try to come and join us for tea one of these days."