Chapter 1

I ran through the corridor, my feet pounding hard on the wooden floors. The unusual silence of the pack house made the sound so much louder.

"EMMY!" I screamed as I dashed up the stairs. "MAX! WHERE ARE YOU!" My werewolf instincts kicked in and I could hear the sounds of battle that weren't unusual to my ears. Our defenses were weak though and would give out soon and it was imperative that I get my younger siblings out of the house before the Blood Pack took control of it. 

Our parents were dead and as the children of the Alpha, the ruthless Blood pack would not let me or my siblings survive, despite our ages. It wouldn't be easy for us to submit as children of the Alpha and we would be an inconvenience to the pack. We were worth more dead than alive.

I burst into the room, not even bothering with the doorknob, and sprinted to the closet. "EMMY, MAX OPEN UP IT'S ME!" 

The closet door creaked open slowly and I yanked it open the rest of the way. Emmy had tears running down her face and Max was huddled in the deepest corner looking confused and frightened. I longed to take them in my arms and comfort them but we didn't have the time.

"We don't have much time guys. We have to leave NOW if we're gonna be safe!" I ran to the room other side of the room as I shouted at them and grabbed the two duffels bags filled with cash and clothing from under the bed. 

I grabbed Max and slung him onto my back after throwing a bag at Emmaline who caught it with ease. She was only ten but she understood our situation and she was so brave. If I hadn't known to look for Max in the back of the closet I would have thought that only Emmy was in there and that's exactly what she wanted. She was prepared to fight anyone for our four-year-old brother's life and my heart ached at the fact that a ten-year-old was prepared to die for any cause, no matter how worthy.

We crept down the stairs, silently but fast and I prayed to the Moon Goddess that we would be alright. My main objective was to get my siblings to safety. My father's death didn't phase me, but the incomplete feeling that one got when their Alpha died did. He might have been a terrible father and a horrible role model but he was pack and it hurt to have our leader ripped away from us in a crazy battle even though it started because of his stupid need for sex, his raging temper, and his murderous tendencies. He had raped and killed the Luna of the Blood pack and he had died early in the battle at the hands of their Beta who had assumed that he was someone of low ranking based on his cowardliness.

The Alpha of the Blood Pack was enraged that the murderer had gotten off so easily and he had bloodlust in his eyes when he shouted to his warriors to show no mercy to the rest of the pack. It would be his last act as Alpha. His wife had died and it was unlikely that he would continue to be Alpha after such a horrible loss, especially if he had a son to take over.

Thankfully, many of the men and woman in my pack who weren't warriors had escaped with the children. Still, the Blood Pack was massacring my father's fighters, my fighters. It took everything in me to not turn around and run to help my pack instead of desert them. If it wasn't for my siblings, I would be fighting with my pack and dying with honor. Still, my siblings came first and right now, I, a seventeen-year-old girl, was all they had left.

We snuck outside through the back door and I laughed inside at how broken our lives were now. The last time I snuck out the back door, it was to get my first kiss.

I grasped Emmaline's hand and we ran through the woods behind the pack house. Max had a tight grip around my neck but I didn't go as fast as I could out of fear of dropping him. We darted in and out of trees and didn't begin to slow down until we neared a clearing. 

A powerful, masculine, earthy scent struck my senses me and enveloped me in an addicting warmth. I stopped short. Every mate story I had ever heard said that you first smelled your mate and that it would be the best scent ever and this was definitely it for me. Inside, my wolf who had retreated deep into me burst out. I smiled, relief filling my body. My mate would help us! He would take my siblings and I in, wouldn't he?

My sister noticed my change immediately. "What's happening Haven?" She said, tugging on my hand to get my attention. "What's wrong?"

I smiled at her. "We're going to be OK now. My mate is here." She grinned back, her eyes wide open. She was smart enough to know that we'd be alright with my mate to help us. Max snuggled his nose into my neck happily and laughed. "Will he help us Have?"

"Yes, he will," I replied to him.