Twenty-four

Emma's point of view

The four of us stood in silence all in a row, staring out the window in front us. Our plane was here, and people had started boarding, but we couldn't get ourselves to move. Harry was the first to snap out of his trance.

"Well, I guess we better be going," he spoke softly.

Ashton and Gemma nodded, smiling sadly, as we began to say our goodbyes. Harry went to his sister first, and I went to Ashton.

"Goodbye Emma."

I looked up to see a smile on his face. He looked happy. Not because of me leaving, but because of the time we shared together. He brought me into a hug and held me there.

"Bye Ash. Thank you for everything. Thanks for letting us come, and spending time with me, and making great music, and yea. Just thanks for everything," I rambled on, blushing from embarrassment.

"No problem, Emma. It was great to meet you, and I hope to see you again someday."

I hoped for the same thing, but I didn't say it.

While Harry began to say goodbye and thank Ashton, I turned to Gemma. She eagerly put her arms out to hug me.

"Thanks for letting us come," I told her quietly.

"No, thank you. Thanks to you, I got to see my baby brother again for the first time in ages. And, he's happy. I couldn't ask for more."

Her words really meant something to me. The fact that someone like me, could impact other people's lives for the better astonished me. It made me feel as though I had a purpose, whether I knew exactly what it was or not.

I felt Harry's hand on the small of my back, signaling that it was time to go.

"Alright, thanks again you two. Stay in touch," Harry said, as he grabbed his bags and I grabbed mine.

We bid Gemma and Ashton one last goodbye before walking down the runway to the plane. We found our seats, and luckily for this trip, it was arranged so there were only two seats, and we occupied both of them.

Once our bags were stowed away, we relaxed in our seats. Harry placed his hand on mine in a comforting manner. I felt his glance on me as I looked out the small airplane window.

"What's on your mind, love?"

I sighed and looked over to him, forcing a smile.

"I just don't want to go home is all. Being away was almost like a dream. I don't want it to be over."

"I know what you mean, but things are just going to go back to the way they were. That's not so bad, right?"

I sighed. "I guess not."

My thoughts filled with my parents, and school and all the little problems I'd have to face back home. Being at Harry's could shield me to an extent, but it couldn't cancel out everything else. I still had a psychotic mother, a careless father, and a school full of people who didn't know I existed.

***

It was around 1am when I heard the front door close. Even with the house being so huge, you could still hear a pin drop since there were only two of us living here. I slowly got out of bed, my long pajama bottoms dragging on the ground, and walked down the stairs.

The light in the kitchen was dimly lit, and Harry was taking off his coat. He placed a few papers on the counter, while I watched confused. It took a few seconds for him to notice me.

"What are you doing up?" He asked softly.

"I could say the same to you."

He sighed, sitting on a seat next to the counter. He patted the one next to him, and I reluctantly joined him.