Saturday

I remember the day that we met. It was a Saturday, the worst of all days, and I was sitting alone in Starbucks on the corner of 36th street; the one that all the high school and college kids go to in sweaters and hats when it's cold outside.

I was reviewing the list of people I had to buy Christmas presents for when you walked in. Your entrance was almost theatric, although I know now that you probably meant it to be that way. When you stumbled into the café, stomped your black, clunky boots on the mat and whipped your burgundy scarf off from around your neck, everyone started staring. You looked as though you were one of those celebrities that's been in a ton of movies and TV shows, but everyone only knows you by your face. Like they knew you were famous, but they couldn't place your name or what they had seen you in before. If the people in the cafè knew now that they had seen the great Olivia Summers one cold December day in 2006, they'd be kicking themselves for not asking for a picture or an autograph. That entrance of yours, I'll remember it forever. You handled the situation so gracefully; sliding your coat off to reveal that black sweater that I love so much on you, draping your coat over the back of a chair, and gliding up to the counter. This may be a little weird to admit, but I remember your voice asking the woman behind the counter for a "Grande Peppermint Mocha, please, decaf." Don't ask me how I remember that; you of all people should know that I can't help but remember such things.

When the barista gave you your drink, you sat down at the table with your coat and took out a textbook and a piece of paper. As you scribbled things down on the paper, I watched you. I just couldn't take my eyes off of you and your silky brown hair that was cascading down your shoulders from the hem-do hats have hems?- of that white beanie with the pom-pom thing on the top. You know which one I'm talking about: the one you wore every time we went ice skating in Central Park that winter. It was your favorite article of clothing back then. From where I was sitting, I could also see your hipster-like glasses. Remember those? They made you look cute, and really smart. I liked that about them.

I had seen you before, at school, so I recognized you, but I had never actually looked at you. To this day, I couldn't tell you why I was so fascinated with you when I never had been before, but I was, and I guess we can't help that now, can we?

I watched you until you finished your Mocha. You threw it away, but you didn't leave. You simply sat back down and continued with your schoolwork. You looked up when the bell above the door rang, and a boy about our age walked in. After about two and a half seconds, you picked up your bag, collected your things, and made your way over to me.

"Excuse me, you go to St. John's on 42nd, right?" You asked me, your voice hushed and serious. I nodded, trying not to stare at you for too long. In the split second that I looked into your eyes, your beautiful hazel eyes, I knew that I could definitely screw things up with you by saying the wrong things. Those eyes, man... They did something to me.

You smiled and pointed at the chair across from me. "Do you mind if I sit here? I promise I won't bother you. Please?" You sounded almost desperate, which sparked a sense of curiosity and sympathy in me.

I nodded again, not trusting my voice to speak; I knew I would probably say something idiotic and scare you away. You breathed a sigh of relief and settled into the chair.

Gathering as much confidence as I could, I planned out a sentence and asked carefully, "If you don't mind my asking, why do you want to sit here?" Something flashed in your eyes, and a look of sadness crossed your face for a second. But you sat up straighter, looked over your shoulder quickly, then replied.

"That guy over there is my ex-boyfriend, Adam. Just some jerk who dumped me last week. I don't want him to try to talk to me. And I'm sorry to intrude on your afternoon, by the way, but you looked nice and I didn't want to run the risk of being alone with him. I also thought it wouldn't be too weird, because I've seen you around school before."