Chapter 1

Germany 1939

The starless sky was casket-black and brooding. Even the clouds seemed morose. Gelid hands clasped algid steel as we gazed upon their foe. The cold, north wind keened and mewled through both the valley and the souls of their men.  The clouds cleared. Their guns glimmered cruelly under the eerie moon. Its phantom flame sent ribbons of chrysalis-silver light spilling onto the upraised shields of their men. The monsters swarmed and swayed below them like corn in a field, yet it seemed there were more of them than a thousand bushels could hold. The commander raised their proud pennant aloft in defiance. It represented their dreams, their lives and salvation. If it was taken, it would mean they were dead.

They crashed upon the bunkers as their commander screamed; "Fire!" in desperation. Their iron-shod feet clapped off the frozen ground like the rumbling of thunder. A tempest of wicked, barbed bullets soared into the sombre sky. They sizzed and sizzled before hitting their targets. Fountains of magma-red blood sprayed into the air. Screams of horror echoed throughout the alleyways as men were snarling and squealing as the grounds became greasy with gore.  The theater of death filled up with keening and caterwauling sounds, as the earth became oily with ichor. Their weapons were clanging and clangorous under the seething, spite-filled sky. The ground was lubricated with guts and a nauseating waft that rose from it, drifting through the stale air. It was butchery.

The room was damp and cold, still trembling Elsa stumbled to the closest closet, locking herself in. She trusted herself to drop down into the darkness. Sweat stung her eyes and she wiped her face with the back of her shaky hand. She tried to steady her heavy breathing, slowly bringing her heart rate down. She heard a door spam open and footsteps echoing throughout her home- the stench of gun power and body odour quickly filled her senses, and desperation crept ever closer, she placed both her hands over her mouth to keep herself from yelling or screaming. She closed her eyes as tears started to strem down her flushed face.

"Massimo...." She cried over and over in her head. She hadn't realized that she had stopped breathing, her oesophagus began to burn and her lungs began to swell craving for oxygen. The voices got louder as the foot steps grew closer, her breathing began to hitch and anxiety kicked in. She could see shadows passing by the little crack of the closet door, the little stream of light disappeared for half a second as someone walked by.

"This house is clear!!" A man spoke in a deep husky voice.
"I could hav-

And everything went silent, Elsa was unsure of whether they were still in her house. She heard a small creak in the old wooden floor boards as the closet nob began to shake. Her breath hitched and her stomach twisted into a knot.

"EH THIS WONT OPEN!!" someone yelled.

Elsa began to silently sob as she feared what the men would do if they found her.

"Leave it kid...." A booming voice answered, as the shaking stopped. Elsa closed her eyes and let out a small breath.

"Anyone got a ciggy!" A softer more distant voice asked, as the foot steps got quieter and the house settled, back to its damp and gloomy state, the wind whistled throughout the house signaling its emptiness . Her body loosened and started to slump, losing its stiff posture. Her lips parted and she let out a slight moan, pressing the palm of her hand to her forehead, briefly bowing her head. She slowly stretched out her arm feeling around in the darkness for the door knob, finding it she wrapped her hand around the cold metal, and with one slight push the door creaked open. Letting dim light fill the small enclosed space. Elsa let out a well needed breath and pulled herself up onto her numb legs.

Still being cautious she peeked her head around the corner, just to make sure she was alone. Certain her house was empty, She emerged from the closed and closed it softly behind her. She twisted her head slowly looking around the room. Nothing was stolen, everything was in place. But something was missing. Massimo, he was missing. A tear began to well in the corner of Elsa's eye as her brain swelled on the topic of Massimo returning for her. The army needed recruits and they came for him, taking him away from her. She had been alone for 2 years now almost and every single day her heart broke more, waiting for the day she could run into his arms and never let him go again. The tear slowly rolled down her cheek, once that tear broke free the rest followed in an unbroken stream. Elsa fell to the floor, pressing her hands onto the large floor mat. She began to sob, with the power of a person vomiting on all fours. Her raged screams and cries echoed throughout her small home.

Lonely was once an abstract idea, an affliction of the old. Elsa had Massimo and he had her, each other's insurance policy on life, love and the hereafter. They were supposed to die close together with silver hair and wrinkles on their wrinkles, When the army came, First was the shock - denial, anger, despair... It takes so long to arrive at acceptance. It isn't much of a destination though. It's an empty train station, no people, no trains, nowhere to go. It's hearing and seeing with none of it mattering. It's the world carrying on with business as usual, but for her it can never be the same again. It's the inability to share your love and without sharing love it deflates to leave a hole in the chest..

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLEASE READ

So I have been scrambling around with a lot of ideas, and my watt-pad has been a mess!! But I have finally decided what to do, and I am sticking with my decision. I am going to be writing this fanfiction, and updating as much as I can!!! I hope everyone will like this fic, This chapter may be a bit boring but trust me I have a few good idea's planned!! so please stick with me!

XxJLxX