James Potter x Muggle!Reader

Wordcount: 1918
Warnings: death, nsfw mentions
A/N: I left this piece unfinished in my drafts for 3 years. I never planned on finishing it, but here it is, babes, as a huge thank you to everyone who still reads my old fics even now. Cheers! ❤️ Also fuck JK Rowling and if you're trans I love you and this is for you.

...

"He keeps staring at you," Rita notes, chewing on her straw before smiling. "Maybe you should talk to him. He's devilishly handsome."

"Then why don't you go and talk to him? Seeing as you're clearly head over heels for the guy?" you ask, clearly irritated, while nervously fidgeting with your own straw in your gin tonic.

"Because he's looking at you, not me, silly," your friend laughs.

"Well, I don't need anyone in my life right now," you state, trying to sound confident. "And certainly not a player like him."

Rita just scoffs, then sneaks another glance at him. "Maybe he's only looking for a hookup, so what? I bet he's magical in bed!"

"I've already told you a million times - I don't need hookups in my life. That's not my style."

You had no luck finding the right partner for yourself so far, no matter how hard you tried. Every single time you fancied someone, they turned out to be players or people you couldn't see yourself with on the long run. All those failures made you so exhausted that eventually you just stopped looking. College takes up most of your time anyways, and you have this strange feeling that something isn't right with the world - the nights are too long, the air too heavy and suffocating. You can feel it, even if you have no words for it.

Rita starts laughing at the expression on your face and casts another glance at the table where the three boys are sitting. She smirks and looks back at you again with a devilish glint in her eyes. "That dark haired boy, well, he's my cup of tea, you kn-"

Suddenly, a flash of green light hits Rita and her lifeless body falls to the ground... And then all hell breaks lose. Flashing lights, exploding bottles and tables, blood and screams everywhere. You fall on the floor and crawl under the table, inching closer to Rita in desperation. She lies on her back, her blank eyes staring at the ceiling. You can't understand that they no longer see you. No longer see anything.

You are so shocked you can't move, not understanding what's happening. All of a sudden a pair of arms grabs you and you become really nauseous as you feel like being pulled apart... And then silence. And those arms holding you together like glue, not allowing your shattered pieces to fall apart.

You would have fallen to your knees if that person weren't holding you. "Deep breaths. Calm yourself. That's it," a voice cuts through your nauseous, shocked haze, and you try to focus on his words. "Easy now. You're safe. It's alright now. It's over."

Once you feel strong enough, and quite sure you won't double over and retch the moment you straighten up, you open your eyes - it's him. The boy with the messy hair and the glasses who couldn't take his eyes off of you back at the pub. And now the same eyes are looking at you with a worried expression. "Are you okay? You're not hurt, are you?"

"Where the fuck am I?" you panic, but the others don't even seem to hear you as they gather around the pair of you on the dark, abandoned street.

"Prongs, we have to go," calls a soft looking boy with scars on his face. "It's not safe here. Let's return to headquarters. We need to tell the others."

"I'm taking them with us," your saviour declares before glancing at you. "You can trust us. You'll be safe with us."

"Fine, but we need to get going right now!" the other man calls again, and you nod weakly, not really understanding yet that you're going down a path that will transform your life forever - for better or worse.