Chapter 5: Something More?

Start from the beginning

"Okay. I got this." When the green light lit up, Artemis pressed the button and the boiler came on. "Woah! Josh I did it!" Artemis said happily.

"That's more like it! High five girl!" Josh congratulated her. Artemis eagerly gave a high five to Josh, who smiled widely.

But Artemis' happiness was short lived when she heard a familiar creek. "What is that?"

"Could be a lot of things.... none of them nice..." Josh said spookily.

"Josh!" Artemis quivered as she pushed him lightly. "Stop, you know how much that scares me.."

"What if it's that girl from the Conjuring?" He clapped his hands twice to add on to the scaring.

"Josh..."

"Or maybe it could be something... much... more sinister..."

"Josh! I'm not kidding! Stop!"

"I'm just Joshing ya," Josh laughed. He looked at Artemis and saw that she wasn't laughing. Quite the contrary, she seemed angry. Josh shrugged and sheepishly scratch the back of his head. "Look I'm sorry... I didn't mean to scare you that bad," Josh tried to reason with her but Artemis turned her head the other way. "Artie!" Josh whined.

"Josh. You know how much I hate creepy spooky things. I can't even watch Paranormal Activities without freaking out!" Artemis pouted.

Josh smiled weakly, "I know... I'm sorry Artemis." He opened his arms wide open. "Need a pick-me-up hug?"

"You know me... I'm always in need of pick-me-up hug." Artemis giggled as she hugged Josh.

Clank Clank Clank Clank

"Uh Josh?" Artemis broke from their hug to hear a repetitive clank. "Y-You hear that too right?" But Josh didn't answer. He walked towards the sound instead. "Josh?"

"What?"

"It sounds... I don't know. It sounds weirdly regular."

"No... nothing regular about it,"

"Shouldn't we check it out?" Artemis whispered as she clasped onto Josh's arm. "It might be a broken pipe or something."

"Unlikely," Josh muttered. But as soon as they take two steps forward, a man jumped into view and shouted incoherent words. Both Josh and Artemis screamed and immediate began to run.

"Josh!" Artemis squeaked out as she clasped onto his hand. He held it tightly as he guided her back upstairs. Artemis kicked some planks as she ran. It tripped the pursuer and he landed on the floor with a grunt. But the man was quick on his feet and quickly recovered. When they got to the stairs, Artemis frantically tried to open the door. But it was locked.

"Why the HELL are the doors locked?!" Artemis cried out.

"To-To keep out strangers!" Josh replied.

Artemis turned around to see the man slowly creeping up the stairs. So this is it... this is how I die.... Artemis thought as she squeezed her eyes shut. And I didn't even get to tell him... She felt the same fear she had a year ago. That same dread of the inevitable. That same paralyzing fear crippling every single muscle in her body. There was no escape and this time... she knew she was going to die.

"Hey..." the man said.

Artemis opened one eye, "W-What?"

"Heyyy!" The man chuckled and took off his mask. It was Chris.

"WHAT THE HELL?" Artemis shouted angrily.

"Boom! You just got monked!" Chris teased as he fist bumped Josh.

"Nice. Nice one. That was good."

"Why would you do that?!" Artemis demanded.

"There's all this cool old movie stuff down here. What was I... was I not supposed to take advantage of this opportunity?"

"A-Are you serious?" Artemis stammered. She clutched her arm to stop shaking. Didn't work out so well. "Josh were you in this too?!"

"Nope! But I wish I was! That was too good," Josh laughed as he high-fived Chris.

Artemis leaned against the wall and gently slid down. She hugged her knees and put her head down. Her heart was still hammering loudly and her adrenaline rush slowly faded away, leaving only a shaking mess. She really thought she was going to die...

"Artie? What happen-" Josh squatted to her level and saw her damp sleeve. "Chris.." Josh unlocked the door and motioned for Chris to go on ahead. "I'll stay here and talk to her."

Artemis only hugged herself tighter as she head Chris' footsteps recede. "You could go," Artemis mumbled. "I'm just shaken up..."

"Well I can't leave a pretty girl like yourself in tears now can I?" Josh joked as he sat on the step below her. "Want to talk about it?"

Artemis let out a weak chuckle. "I thought I was going to die. Wouldn't anyone cry if they knew they were going to die?"

"Well yeah.." Josh nodded. "But that's not the only thing that scared you was it?"

Artemis paused. "It reminded me... it reminded me of when I was stuck in the forest..." She didn't dare look at Josh. She looked away and silently let the tears fall.

"Artie..." Josh said. "Artie look at me." Artemis slowly looked up to Josh. She saw a tear, so small that you wouldn't even notice it if you weren't paying attention, and a sad smile. "I'm sorry. I should've taken account on how you feel. I didn't think. And Chris didn't either. I'm pretty sure he feels like shit right now... Think you could forgive the both of us for being idiots?" He wiped away the last of Artemis' tears and pinched her cheek lightly.

"Of course I can forgive Chris," she glanced at Josh. "You.. I'm not so sure."

"Oh shut up," Josh chuckled. "I'm serious! I'm really sorry.."

Artemis jumped up and hugged Josh. "You're forgiven." He smiled and hugged Artemis tightly.

"That's good to know.." he said. "Now let's get back to the main lounge. I'm sure they're waiting for us." He helped Artemis up and opened the door. "And Artie?" Artemis looked at Josh and was about to ask what. But Josh kissed her forehead before she could say anything. "I'm really glad you decided to come back despite of all the bad memories." Josh smiled one more time and walked back to Chris and Ashley. Artemis stood there for a second and touched her forehead. She shook her head, trying to focus but all her mind could do was replay that 15 second frame. She smiled widely with pink dusting her cheeks. With the way the things are going, Artemis is sure something could bloom from their friendship into something more.

~•~
Thank you so much for waiting all this time. I have school and it's not really easy finding the perfect time to write. But thanks to the very few who continue to wait eagerly for me to update. You gave me the determination to finish writing this fanfic.