10

They exchange numbers after that day, and talk every once and awhile; because they're both seemingly busy with their own schedules. But when they do talk, it seems like they talk for hours. Which makes her feel like she's sixteen again, and can't stop the butterflies from erupting in her stomach.

Some days, she feels guilty for even talking to him. Thinking of all the possibilities of which can turn sour. She knows that Dominic wouldn't like it. Knows that he might berate her if he even found out.

But she felt like...

She felt like her conversations with Simon were too precious to even think about stopping.

"Earth to Maggie," someone sing-songs. "Hello, Maggie!"

Maggie stands up from her spot at her work desk and greets Simon and his friends. She can't help but grin at him.

"Another meeting with Dom, gentlemen?"

JJ frowns, twirling the ends of his shirt with his hands. "If I have to sign more books, I'm going to get arthritis."

She laughs breathily, feigning a look of concern for the boy. "Oh the woes of a soon-to-be New York Times bestseller."

"Exactly, how will I survive!" He pretends to faint, and the only person to catch him is Vik who struggles to keep himself and JJ on his feet.

"JJ, you're going to kill me!" Vik mumbles. "Get off me, you pleb."

Maggie covers her smile with her hand. Averting her eyes to the dramatic duo and back to Simon, looming over at Josh and Tobi.

"Dom's in another meeting right now." She tells them. "But we can go in another room and get you situated. Are any of you thirsty?"

"I would love a water." Ethan replies. "My mouth is all dry and tacky."

"She's not a waitress, mate." Simon replies, stuffing his hands in his pockets, looking at Ethan squarely. "You don't have to get him water."

Watching the interaction, she scratches the side of her head. "It's part of my job, Simon. Anyways, I don't mind."

"Because being a secretary means you have to be at someone's beck and call?" His lips curve downwards. "Brilliant."

Maggie blinks, opening her mouth and closing it when she sees Josh grab his elbow and pulls him off to the side.

"I really don't mind, Ethan." She tells him sadly, once they start heading towards the vacant room. "That's why I offered."

He shakes his head. "I know, and he knows. I don't think he meant to sound like that."

Once she leaves them in the room, with different assortment of drinks, she passes Simon and Josh, and breaks the pair right between the middle. Simon goes to say something, and he makes this sort of frontal noise of acknowledgment.

"Gimme a minute, Josh." He commands, after they nod they're heads in agreement. "Maggie, can you wait up?"

He catches up to her, and catches her wrist with his right hand. His grip is loose, and his palm is warm and radiating off of him. It sends chills down her spine.

"Do you not like what I do for a living?" She asks after they stand there, for three moments too long in silence. "Because some days I'm not particularly fond of my job either, but I'm good at it."

He shakes his head, his tongue darts out and she has to look away from his face. "I don't meant it like that, Maggie. I just..." he sighs heavily and looks around before seeing a door slightly open with the lights off. He pulls her into the room and shuts the door.

Maggie's freehand runs across the wall until she can feel the light switch to flick on.

"You just..?" She continues for him.

"I don't know. I don't know why, but every time I'm here, I feel like you're sitting in the wrong place."

"Meaning?"

"You shouldn't be sitting at a desk answering phone calls all day."

She rubs her hands against her cheeks, looking at him and noticing that he can barely look at her. Absentmindedly she reaches down for his hand and grasps it with hers. She gives it a light squeeze.

"We all have to start somewhere, Simon."

OOO

When they both return to the room where they left all six boys, she spots another one sitting at the head of the table.

"Sorry to be an inconvenience, but, we do have a meeting to get started."

"I was looking for the bathroom." Simon lies, pulling a chair out for Maggie to sit in and sitting in the one beside it. She doesn't sit in it right away. At least not until Dom says:

"Are you going to have a seat, Miss. Sommers?"

She sits on command, pulling her hands together and fiddling with her thumbs.

"Boys, I've brought you here today to talk about our newest online platform. It will be where we can post articles about our new and upcoming talent."

"And we're the talent?" Tobi asks, looking between Harry and Vik. "So, what is it? Like an interview?"

"Almost. But it'll be three days worth of articles. It'll be like a series: a question and answer, an interview, and a day in the life." Dominic speaks so vibrantly, but Maggie feels like she can detect a faint venomous tone.

"Who's writing the articles? You?" Simon asks, leaning back and crossing his arms.

"You're sitting next to her."

A/N: double update. but still unedited b/c I'm off to work. let me know what you think. x

Happy Halloween!  👻 🎃