04

It's 4 in the morning, and she's sitting upright in bed, looking out the window. The world seems to still be lit up and busy. Like some people are just born with a brain that never stops turning. She wishes she could shut down her brain.

But all she can think is: why is Dominic sleeping next to her, and why--why, why, why-had she let him in in the first place.

Maggie knows the answer, and it should make it simple, easy. It should explain that all couples have fights, but they always make up in the end.

No, that isn't true.

Getting out of the covers, she pulls on a pair of pyjama bottoms, and a sweater, not bothering to put on a shirt. Grabbing the hotel key, her wallet, and her phone, she walks out of the room; careful not to slam the door shut.

She walks down to the end of the hall, and hits the button on the elevator. She rubs her hands together, anxiously.

Dominic Waters has always been a bit of a prat. Overly confident, too much for his own good, and had an opinion on everything. He was never good at accepting other  people's opinions, and got loud when someone didn't agree with him--or when it seemed like someone else was giving her attention.

But they fit nicely together in the beginning. He was passionate about the same things as her, and listened to her go on about all her dreams and wishes--and as they got closer, and there relationship bloomed, they always talked about the future.

When the elevator doors open, she jumps back, a little startled at the two guys holding bags of fast food in their hands. She laughs, and it's loud. She slaps her hand to her mouth.

Dominic hates her laugh.

"Sorry about that," She giggles, "You startled me."

They smile at her, and exit the elevator. The doors shut, but they seem to want to talk. "We've met a couple times today, I believe. I'm Joshua Bradley, call me Josh. This is Simon. He's trying to filter himself." He pauses, and Maggie looks from Josh to Simon, and back again. They both are sporting messy hair, as if they've been sleeping and decided to make a run for food.

"I can speak for myself, mate." He tells Josh, and he tilts his head down. She's much shorter than he thought at first glance. "Where are you going off to, at four in the morning? Hopefully not to get your boss's dry cleaning."

Maggie shoves her hands in her pocket, shaking her head. "I actually don't sleep well in hotel beds. So, I was actually just gonna go get some fresh air, or food--speaking of?" She points at the bags, and Josh laughs this time.

"We had a hard time finding it as well. It's just like a few blocks to the left of here. They make the food right there in front of you, so you know it hasn't been sitting."

"Alright, cool! Thanks, Josh, Simon." She hits the button to the elevator again and steps in once it opens. She hears shuffling, and whispering before Josh speaks up.

He rolls his head to the side. "I would show you myself, but I'm actually gonna eat and go straight to bed. But Simon here, he'll make sure you won't get lost. It's a bit dodgy this time of night."

Maggie looks at Simon stepping in, and before she can reply, the doors shut.

Simon laughs, "By the look on your face, you look a bit disappointed."

She shakes her head, "No, no. I appreciate it. I just hope you don't mind a lot of conversation. I've got a lot on my mind."

"Penny for your thoughts?"

Giving him a side-eyed glance, she chuckles. "Maybe once I've had something to eat. But not likely."

He smiles.

When they're outside, the sky is still nearly black, and there is a nasty chill to the air that makes Maggie shiver. But then again, it feels nice against her skin.

"Thanks for the lunch, by the way." Simon breaks the silence. "I didn't eat breakfast, because I was so nervous about the meeting. So I ended up devouring half my sandwich in the matter of a minute."

"You didn't seem nervous."

He chuckles, blowing warm air into his hands. "No, I guess not."

He goes quiet for a moment. The wind sweeps up her hair and makes strands dance in front of her face. She spots him staring.

"I hope I didn't get you into trouble with that guy."

Maggie laughs breathily, and she suddenly she's rubbing her hands frantically, and she frowns. "No, it wasn't you who got me into trouble. It was me who got myself into trouble."

In a swift, quick movement, she finds his hands cupped around hers. Simon brings them up to his lips, and she swears there is a smile playing across his lips. He breathes warm air into her hands, taking his hands and rubbing them against hers.

"Better? The place should just be right up here." He says, as if that wasn't as intimate as she thought. He smiles down at her, pulling off his jacket and putting it around her shoulders. "You can give it back to me once your warm."

In big, bolded red capital letters, one word: RUN, RUN, RUN.

Maggie licks her lips, chewing the inside of her cheek, "Is this normal to you? Giving girls your jacket when they're cold?"

Simon raises his eyebrow, turning around to face her, walking backwards. "Not normally, no. But I feel like it was the right thing to do. My mum raised me proper, and all that. Respect and kindness comes in all different shapes and forms, love."

She shivers, her breath getting caught in her throat. "Dominic won't be happy that you're..., here, with me."

"Ah!" He suddenly says, his hands going in the air, and falling to his sides as he sighs. "So he's the jealous type. I own Ethan a fivver."

"Sorry?"

"One of my best mates, we had a bit of a wager. We were trying to decide if your boyfriend was either a thick-headed prat, or if he was just the jealous sort of type."

They reach the little restaurant, and he opens the door for her.

"It could be possible that he could be both, and he's probably overcompensating for something." He lifts up his pinky finger and wiggles it around before Maggie giggles.