Chapter 32 - Not Enough Time

Start from the beginning

When we get home, I turn to mom with pleading eyes. "Can I go see Emma now?"

She smiles and pinches my cheek. "For the sake of young love, yes."

"Mom." I roll my eyes.

But I practically run to my car and hop into it. Next stop, Emma's house.

Upon arriving there, I see that Daniel is with Cleo on the front porch. They appear to be talking about something that makes them both laugh at the same time. A joke, maybe.

Cleo told me about Daniel and all that had happened. At first I didn't like the idea of them spending so much time together now, given the fact that the first impression I had of Daniel was of him bullying Cleo. But now, it seems that they are really enjoying each other's company. God's amazing plan played out and Daniel was saved, and perhaps that plan is even bigger than I would think possible, maybe it involves Cleo and Daniel having a future together. If that's going to be the case, then I'm happy for them.

That's the thing. God's plan is always more beautiful, more complex and more full of surprises than any of us could imagine.

But still, Daniel hasn't won my trust completely. Not yet. I'll be keeping an eye on him to make sure he doesn't cause Cleo any trouble.

"Hey," I greet them both, as I climb out of the car and make my way to the house.

Today is bittersweet. Mostly bitter, though. I'm both looking forward to and dreading this. Looking forward to it, because I missed Emma. Dreading it, because today is the day I must break things off with her.

I can't do this anymore.

It's not fair to her and it's not right for me to be keeping this up when I know we have different beliefs, different principles. I know that at the moment she thinks we both have the same views on Christianity. But she's in for a surprise, and she won't see it as a good surprise.
I'm going to miss her and long for her like crazy, but the whole time I'm doing that I'll also be praying and trusting God to speak to her heart.
I know that He has the ability to make everything work out for the two of us, to call her back to His arms.

"Hi, Aiden." Cleo waves at me. "How was the trip to Homestead?"

Daniel simply nods in my direction. His eyes say he's unsure about me, and I don't blame him, not after the fight we had. My bruises took quite a while to heal, his probably did as well. But maybe we can pretend that didn't happen.

"It was good, thanks," I answer Cleo. "How have you all been?"

"Good, all good," she smiles at me before sharing a second smile with Daniel, one that obviously means something.

"Is Emma home?" I ask her.

She shakes her head. "You missed her by about twenty minutes. She left for a hike by herself on Mount Mansfield, said she needed some time alone. Carpenter dropped her off."

"Oh." I frown, disappointed that she didn't invite me along. But I know what it feels like to need some time to think. "Well, thanks, Cleo. Do you think it's okay if I go meet her there?"

She shrugs. "Sure. She's been missing you, kept on telling me that she can't believe you haven't come by since you got home," she says this lightly to let me know that Emma is not really holding a grudge. Or, at least I hope that's the impression she's trying to give.

"I guess I'll just head on over there, then," I say.

"Good idea," Cleo agrees. "Just give me a call to let me know what time you two will be home. I don't want our parents worrying about either of you, since it looks like there will be a storm."