Jane and the two men moved me onto a stretcher.

On the way to the hospital, Jane took my pulse and shone light into my eyes. The sirens blared around us, sucking up all the other noise. Everything hurt. My legs hurt my feet, my tummy and most of all my head.

“What happened?” I asked with a tone of fear in my voice.

“You were in a really bad car accident, must have been a couple of meters at least.”

“That man said I came out of nowhere. Was the BMW mine, am I drunk?” I started to panic, what if I killed someone whilst driving.

“No darling, you’re not. Just try to relax.” Jane said looking up at the other two men.

“Then why can’t I remember anything?”

“It’s probably just the aftershock, we’re here. Let’s get you on some meds and then we’ll call your parents.”

My parents... I felt like I was going to faint. I tried to imagine their faces, but I couldn’t. I just couldn’t remember them. I began to panic on the inside, what’s wrong with me?

When we finally got to the hospital Jane and the other two lifted me out of the ambulance. They put me onto a trolley-thing, with silver wheels that clicked from underneath it. Jane steered me into the building, she shouted at people, telling them to move out of the way. I looked up at the white ceiling and bright lights that shone from it, they made my vision blue. It was entertaining watching the blue dots move around when I looked away from the lights.

I was brought into a room and was examined by a blonde curly haired nurse. She kept jabbing all around my body and pulled a couple of glass pieces out of my legs and arms. There were bits of blood all over my clothes from the glass, I looked like I had fallen into a box of sharp needles. Afterwards they made me get some scans, a blood test and an x-ray. I didn’t have any broken bones, however my legs were badly bruised and I had to get a couple of stitches all around my body, it wasn’t all too bad. I felt alright. I could feel any pain anymore after they gave me the painkillers.

Jane and Katelyn, the nurse, kept asking me questions. What school did you go to? How old are you? Have you got any pets? I don’t know. I don’t know. I kept saying. I felt so stupid. It was like someone had deleted my memories. I didn’t remember anything. Not my name or my age or anything.

“The results for the blood test will come back in a bit, we’ll bring you to a room and then you can have a rest, okay?” Katelyn said

So I got brought to my room and I sat there all by myself. The walls were plain white, the bed covered in blue bed sheets and a small window on the left of my bed. It all looked so dead and lonely. I wanted this to stop. I had to know who I was. I felt so stupid and powerless just sitting there. After a few minutes or pointless thinking I decided to leave the room. I wanted to go away. Somewhere I could be alone, without all these questions. I opened the door slowly, to check if there were any doctors in the hall. There was a lady by the water dispenser on my right and a man and toddler sitting on some brown chairs next to it. I walked away from them, to my left and started to jog to the end of the corridor.

I ran past someone, someone I thought I knew. I took a step back and looked at a bathroom door. There was a mirror just by the sink. There was a girl, she had long light brown hair and big bright brown eyes. Is that me? I lifted my hand up to my hand, as did she. I touched my warm cheek, as did she. I couldn’t recognize her, or well... me. I heard shouting behind me. I turned around and saw the people from the water dispenser run towards down the hall. I turned around to see where they were going, I was alone in the hall.

“MELISSA, SWEETHEART ARE YOU OKAY?” A woman screamed as she came towards me. The man and child were also running towards me. Who were these people?

The woman pulled me into a bone crushing hug. It was really awkward. What the hell. I pushed her away from me. The man and boy, who looked about 5, stood beside her.

“Honey, I am so sorry. I’m so delighted to see you walking already.” She said as she stroked my arms.

I just stood there, not knowing whether to run away or hug them with joy. I saw a doctor approaching us from down the corridor. Perhaps I should ask him what’s going on.

“I know I shouldn’t have said the things I said, but I was just doing what I thought was best. And then when we heard about the accident, I thought you’d died.” She started to tear up.

I didn’t know what to say. I didn’t know these people. Maybe they had me confused for someone else? I was starting to panic.

“I’m sorry but…” I started,

The man broke me off, “Baby I don’t care about the car, it’s okay we can always get a new one and if you and that boy…”

“Who are you?!” I shouted as I felt my eyes swell up.

The doctor had finally reached us. “Mr. and Mrs. Evans?” he asked.

“Yes.” The man said.

“Could we have a moment in private, please?” The doctor urged

“No. I wish to speak to my daughter if you don’t mind.” The man said rudely, brushing him off.

Daughter? What the fuck no. These people are definetely not my parents, I think I would recognize my own parents. My brain felt warm, but empty. Somehow I couldn’t picture my own family.

“Mr. Evans I insist” The doctor said, sounding annoyed

“I don’t know who you are” I muttered

“What do you mean?” The woman said, tears spraying from her eyes.

“I don’t recognize you. I’m really sorry but please just stop.” I shouted at them.

And then I ran. I sprinted back to my room, pulled the door open, slammed it shut and jumped onto my bed. I covered myself in blankets and cried. I cried my heart out. I wanted to go home. Are they my parents? They can’t be my parents. I didn’t remember them. I would remember my own parents. My brain wasn’t working with me. The part in my mind where my family should be was empty. Nothing. I didn’t know who I was. I didn’t even know where I was. My memory had completely blanked out. I was powerless in my own body.