13) Unexpected Invitation

Start from the beginning

"Hermes can't be certain your mother won't poison him," Jack remarked, catching Elle's attention with his astute observation.

She didn't meet his gaze as she replied, "I was constantly told it's only the dagger of Delphi that can kill an immortal."
"Indeed," said Jack, moving a step closer as they both watched the suspicious and irritated Hermes unwilling to consume anything. Even after Dionysius shook his head, it seemed Hermes was still left unconvinced. "But he can't be certain a very strong laxative won't be slipped into his food by your mother."

Elle didn't acknowledge this although she remembered there was no love lost between Hermes and Pele. The latter evidently held an exceptionally large grudge that the loveable Hermes had played a role in helping Elle's father keep her hidden from immortals for over two decades. Elle could have laughed at the way poor Hermes sadly grimaced at all the food upon the buffet he didn't dare touch. "What do you want, Jack?" Elle's voice was steady, but she didn't look at him as she spoke.

"What makes you think I desire something?" Jack's response carried a hint of amusement.

Elle felt a tingling sensation, betraying her calm facade at the sound of his voice.

"Because I'm not an idiot," she retorted, finally turning her eyes upon him. His handsome face, reminiscent of her memories, dreams, and nightmares, took her aback. His porcelain pale face and haunting gray eyes seemed almost angelic. Elle needed a moment to collect herself, fighting the urge to savor being in his company despite the pain he had caused her. Her hands balled into fists as she crossed her arms, determined not to let him see her vulnerability.

Jack's face was even more perfectly sculpted in person than it was in her memories, causing Elle to avert her gaze once more. "Why are you here?" she asked, trying to mask the vulnerability in her voice.

"Do you wish to know why I'm here or what I want? You'll need to be more specific," replied Jack airily, his expression nearly mischievous.

"I'll simplify it," Elle said curtly. "What do you want that you're here of all places?"

"I thought you stopped caring about anything I had to say the day of our wedding?" Jack's response mirrored Elle's earlier curt response, eliciting a leveled look from her. He shrugged casually, and a palpable silence settled between them as they maintained unbroken eye contact. It was only Lucy who finally broke the silence. "I feel so uncomfortable right now," she admitted to her feet, clearly trying to break the tension filled atmosphere.
"Don't. He was just leaving," Elle interjected, her brown eyes locked with Jack's grey ones.

"May we have a moment alone?" Jack addressed Lucy, though his focus remained on Elle.

"No," Elle asserted firmly. "She's not going anywhere."

Lucy had initially complied with Jack's request, ready to exit the scene, until Elle's words halted her abruptly. Now, she stood in indecision, torn between escaping the situation altogether and following Elle's lead.

Ignoring Lucy, Jack continued to hold Elle's gaze. "Consider your own suspicions. You even admitted you feel there's an ulterior motive at large."

"But isn't that true of all immortals?" Elle prodded, unfolding her arms and clasping her hands together. "Each seems to have their own hidden agenda at the end of the day, right?" Her eyes narrowed.

"I don't know what you're implying."

"What could I possibly be implying?" Elle breathed. "Maybe I'm referencing the day we married. You remember that, don't you? The day you went through with marrying me even though you knew you planned on drop kicking me afterward."

"There was no drop kicking—"

"Oh, no," Elle laughed bitterly, pointing a finger at him. "There was leading me on while fully knowing what you planned to do after banishing me, let's be honest."

"Fine," said Jack curtly. "You want honesty? Leaving you alive was better than the alternative—"

"Leaving me alive?" Elle interrupted snidely, motioning for Lucy to remain in place. "Are we forgetting the children of Loki just tried to kill me? That I'm still number one on their hit list for whatever reason?"

"I'm trying to rectify the situation now—"

"Oh, great," Elle scoffed, offering a mock clap. "Thank you so much for finally gracing me with your presence after all this time!"

"Are you going to allow me to explain?" growled Jack.

"No. Your words are unneeded and unwanted."

"How can you know when you're unwilling to hear me out?"

"Why should I bother giving you the time of day?"

"Because I am clearly trying to tell you to stay diligent—"
"Well, message received, King Frosty," Elle remarked with narrowed eyes. "You can leave now—"

"STAY," both Elle and Jack exclaimed loudly in unison, causing Lucy to freeze in place, torn between wanting to escape the tense atmosphere and feeling compelled to stay.

As their tempers flared, Elle hadn't noticed how close she and Jack had gotten to each other. Their heated exchange had unwittingly drawn them closer together. She could almost taste his familiar scent, bask in the memory of being close to him...

It was then that they realized they had a small audience. Members of the party, along with a few familiar faces, watched the scene unfold. Hera stood nearby, her expression hardened as she observed Jack. Many other immortals, some recognizable and others new, murmured among themselves as they observed the confrontation. Elle and Jack maintained their intense gazes, neither backing down. Despite Jack's softened demeanor, Elle continued to regard him with distrust. Before she could demand answers regarding his presence, the enchanted booming voice of Alaz interrupted them.

"Ah,yes, Jack Frost! King of Winter's Throne. Thank you for graciously acceptingthe invitation to my family's kingdom," greeted Alaz from across the room,seated upon his throne. Elle's attention shifted to her grandfather, bewilderedby the unexpected turn of events. Slowly turning back to Jack, she found himwearing a knowing expression. It was one that clearly but silently said, Itold you so.
***