Was this a good thing or a bad thing for me?

Then they said, "Oh and our new house is going to be next to the Millers!"

I nearly passed out.

The Millers were old family friends. They used to live close by and their son Nathan, used to be my best friend.

We used to do everything together, enjoying the freedom that came with being social rejects hanging. I remember the day he left like it was yesterday, even though it happened five years ago.

I remember standing outside my house, bidding the family farewell. We hugged and without looking back, he got into the car and left. I retreated to my room and saw something on the stairs next to it.

It was an envelope. I opened it and shook the contents out; which revealed to be a letter and a photograph.

I read the letter first. As always, Nathan had kept his message short. It said - I'm gonna miss you Lex. Take care and keep smiling.

I looked at the picture, which showed the two of us with our arms slung over each other's shoulders, smiling at the camera.

That was the moment when I started crying. He had known that if he gave this to me outside, I would never have let him go.

I felt so alone afterwards. I had no other friends. No one who had the time or patience to listen to me. We wrote each other e-mails every day and called for every special occasion. Then slowly, his replies became lesser, until they altogether stopped.

On my birthday, I waited for the phone to ring, but it never did. So I put that photo, and anything to do with him in a box, and put it into the attic. I made sure it was in the most hidden corner, where I would never have to see it again. I was pretty sure I had no desire to see his face either.

It seemed like I didn't have a say in the matter though. I reluctantly walked through the front door, the same way he had so many years ago to go to the airport.

Throughout the journey, I had a sinking feeling in my stomach that would not go away no matter how hard I tried to distract myself. When the plane finally landed, I was a nervous wreck. I kept looking around, expecting to see our family friends jump out from somewhere. But it looked like they weren't coming to welcome us.

As we got into a taxi, my heartbeat slowed down to a more normal pace. I looked outside the window, taking in the everyday life of Manhattan.

We stopped outside the house that we would be living in. I took a deep breath and stepped in through the door. For the next hour, I spent my time looking around. My room was quite large and was at the front side of the house. It had the window seats that I had always wanted. Jake was stuck with the smaller room because he was going to college soon.

I pushed open the windows and felt the rays of the seeting sun warm my face. Maybe I could get used to living here. Then my mother yelled something up to me. I couldn't hear her so I went to the landing near the stairs, leant against the banister and yelled from above.

"What were you saying, Mom?"

"I was telling you to get ready. We're going to the Miller place for dinner."

I lost my balance at that and proceeded to fall down the stairs.

After everyone came running and I hastily assured them I was fine, I dragged myself back up the stairs. I had to make sure I didn't turn up next door looking like I fell down the stairs. Which my parents would no doubt laugh about with their friends tonight.

It wasn't like I had fallen all the way down. I had simply rolled down two or three steps and then caught hold of the bars on the side.

I washed my face and hands, then proceeded to put on my favorite jeans and tight grey tee. Silver hoops went on my ears and I pulled my red hair into a high pony. I couldn't do anything about my glasses (Yes, I have to wear them). I was ready, but that still didn't deter me from doing everything I could do to delay the inevitable.

Jake had to almost drag me out of my room. Well, he loves Nathan. Sometimes, he acts like he's closer to him than me, his flesh and blood. It's incredibly annoying.

When we went next door, everyone was smiling too wide and saying something along the lines of "Oh, it's been so long!" and commenting about the height of the younger generation and how it had shot up.

I was just nodding awkwardly and trying to slip away into their backyard. My plan almost worked, but Nathan caught on and followed me there.

"Lex," he said softly, looking at me with his deep green eyes.

I winced. He was the only person who called me that and got away from it.

"Hi," I replied, frostily.

"You look kind of different."

Well, what do you expect genius, it's been five years, I thought.

"You should leave your hair down. It suits you," he continued and to my surprise, took my clasp, letting my hair fall.

Did I mention that I have red hair? I didn't know what he meant by it suiting me, when all it did was make me stand out more.

His fingers grazed the side of my face.

This was too much for me. I couldn't stand there like nothing had happened. I jumped up, saying that it was too cold outside and hurried in.

For the rest of the evening, I hid behind every adult I could spot. It may have seemed immature, but it worked. When we were younger, every time I was angry with him, I would go hide behind the parents. This way our conversation would never remain private.

Now, he kept trying to talk to me, but I kept changing my position. He moved his hand through his blond hair in frustration. I wondered if he had let it grow longer. I had to admit, he looked really... cute. But there was no way I was going to talk to him after he forgot about my existence.

Even when Jake told him about how I fell down the stairs with all the exaggerated motions, I didn't say a word.

We finally left, the rest of my family smiling while I was close to tears for some reason. All of us turned to look back as we walked home and Nathan was standing there, watching. He raised a hand and waved goodbye. I raised my hand after a minute, but he had already turned to go inside. Somehow, I pulled myself together and walked into the place I would now have to call home.

-

Hey guys, this is just the beginning, there's way more music and action coming. If you liked it, vote, comment or fan!

(External link has the soundtrack to this book!)