Chapter 18

After the White dragon had agreed to join us on our journey, it was decided that the tribe would hold a banquet in Yona's honor. It was quite calming, watching the children laugh and enjoy their lives as though nothing could take their happiness away "Well, this is a surprise..." Yoon muttered to us, "Ik-Soo's prophecy was right, but I didn't think he'd join us that easily." Yona looked down towards the ground in thought, "When I told him I'm a princess, he was surprised." Yoon looked at her indiscriminately "You called yourself a scoundrel." Yona then looked up to towards the clear blue sky "Well, it's true. I didn't want to lie to him." Yoon then looked over at Hak with a creeped out look on his face, "And that guy was creeping me out, grinning the whole time." We all glanced to see Hak creepily grinning while fixing the ribbons around his lower sleeves. "I'm not grinning. I was just excited to hear the princess pick a fight with a god." Yona pouted "Are you being sarcastic again?" Hak grinned at her "Of course not!"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

We were waiting for Hak to come back from where ever he'd run off too when Yoon spotted him. "He's back." I turned around to have a look and slightly flinched, Hak and the White dragon were storming towards us with a murderous aura surrounding the both of them. "This looks pretty ominous." Yoon commented. "You don't say?" I retorted sarcastically causing Yoon to send a glare in my direction. I poked my tongue out at him.

Yona decided to see what was wrong with the two wild beasts. "What's wrong?" she asked innocently. "Princess, we can't use him. Let's find someone else." Hak said gesturing towards the White dragon with an irritated look on his face. "You must leave! I can protect the princess myself!" I narrowed my eyes at the two of them before clearing my throat, causing the both of them to look towards me. "I highly doubt that..." I then allowed my claws to extend before practically teleporting in front of the boys with my claws just millimeters away from their eyes. "Do you really think you can do a better job than I can?" the White dragon immediately started apologizing while Hak actually broke a sweat. I smirked, happy with what I'd achieved.

Sadly, the two men continued there idiotic fight. "A sheltered kid couldn't handle the outside world." The White dragon turned towards Yona, "Princess, why does such a boorish man escort you?" Yoon looked at Hak with confusion. "What happened?" Hak turned to face him as he answered. "The White dragon said he would pay me to leave." I then noticed a bulge in his clothes and poked it, "So, what would this be then?" "Maybe I'm getting fat." Yoon and I scoffed in unison. The White dragon then got back up in Hak's face "Protecting the princess is the duty of the five dragons. Those who are not dragons should leave!" Yona launched herself at Hak and wrapped her arms around his arm "No!" Hak looked at her in shock. "Hak is my childhood friend. Since I left the castle and ended up alone, he hasn't abandoned me. He's important to me. I want Hak with me!"

Hak started laughing however it was honestly really frightening to listen too. I stepped behind the White dragon before peeking my head out from underneath his arm. Hak held his hand against his forehead, "Well, you know... That's that. It can't be helped." Hak's creepy when he's happy. Yona reached into his clothes and pulled out the bag of money "I'm returning this." The White dragon lowered his head in respect of her decision. "If you insist, Princess..."

"But I need you, too. Otherwise Hak will die protecting me. I want you to protect Hak, so he won't die." It took the White dragon a moment to process what Yona had just said. "I see. That's how it is? You sought my help because he's weak? Leave it to me, I will protect you and this man." I snorted when I looked at Hak's expression. He was not happy about this at all. Hak and the White dragon then butted heads. "No, thank you. I haven't fallen so far that I need to be protected by a white snake." "A white snake? Did you just call the sacred dragon a snake?" Yoon and I glanced at each other and sighed "This is gonna be a pain." he mumbled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The banquet was absolutely breathtaking, all of the luscious food that they had cooked for us was absolutely divine. Sadly, the night ended rather quickly and now it was time to leave the village. We were standing at the entrance to the village where everyone had gathered to say farewell to the White dragon.

"White dragon..." "I told you all you didn't have to see me off." The White dragon said exasperatedly. "This is too much!" "We didn't think that you would leave so soon!" The White dragon lowered his head slightly and smiled. "What are you saying? My master has appeared. She needs my power. The power that generations of White dragons have passed down for this very day." The elder than began to speak, "White dragon..." his voice cracked as he was holding back tears.

The White dragon continued to smile at his fellow people, "If I let you spoil me on the day I depart, I will incur the wrath of the heavens." The elder bowed towards him, "Until you return, we will protect this village." The White dragon nodded, "I'm counting on you. Even if I die, a new White dragon will be born, as long as the village remains secure." That was everyone's limit seeing as they all burst into tears. "Don't say such things!" The elder cried out. "You'll make us cry!" "You idiot, White dragon!" The White dragon sweat-dropped, "I-I'm sorry."

Who I had come to understand was his grandmother, then came up to him "White dragon!" "Granny..." The grandmother was quiet for a moment before bursting into hysterics. "Take these rice balls with you! You'll get cold on your journey. Wear these coats I made for you. Also here's ten years' worth of medicine and a serum to preserve your good looks! Take this beauty with you, too!" I don't think I've ever seen a farewell quite like this before. "Granny, I can't hold all this!" To say that we were all dumbfounded was an understatement.

The White dragon walked closer to his grandmother. "Granny... I will be gone for a while. The elders will handle the village." "No one told me anything." The old woman said causing the White dragon to pause. "As the village's oldest member, it is my responsibility to look after it." The White dragon leaned towards her with a worrisome look on his face "But I heard your eyesight has worsened." The old lady placed her hands on her hips "No one in the village is healthier than me." "You certainly are energetic." The White dragon smiled at her.

The old lady then looked at him sadly "But... This is discouraging." She then gripped her clothes tightly. "Tomorrow morning, I won't be able to wake you... Our clan's greatest hope has come true, but I didn't think it'd be so sudden..." The old lady then burst into tears. "Granny, lift up your face. I have spent more time with you than with my parents. You have watched over my growth. You are my dear granny. Even from distant lands, I will pray for everyone's happiness, as well as yours. You should rest your body, and live a quiet life." The old lady then shot up "Inexcusable! You make it sound as though I have but a fears years left to live." she then got quiet again "I haven't lived long enough yet..." She looked up at the White dragon with a kind smile "Once you fulfill your duty and return, I'll be the first to welcome you home. I promise..." The White dragon then embraced her as tears started overflowing in her eyes and began pouring out like a river. "No matter how many years pass, even if I'm blind, I will always be able to see your radiance. You must fulfill your duty and return..." I sniffed slightly causing Hak and Yona to look at me "Are you crying, Ama-chan?" Yona asked gently, I turned my face away from her view. "No, I just got some dirt in my eye. That's all."

1435 words