Chapter 20

(WARNING: mentions of self-harm)

~ BRAD ~

"You know, you could've just stayed with Tristan. I can take Connor home." James, who didn't know that he was actually talking to Connor, told Connor as they walked down the corridor.

"I know. But, honestly, I'd never let him hurt any of my friends. Tristan was being really hurtful." Connor told him.

"But it's fine. Maybe he'll think that you're breaking up with him." Brad told Connor, with a little bit of emphasis on the 'breaking up' bit.

"If there's anything I learned from you, Connor, it's that no one deserves the bad things that they're getting for no reason, okay? Yes, I may have treated him like shit but that was for his own good." Connor told him like he was in authority, and Brad was slightly taken aback. They all continued walking to their cars in silence, and when they were finally there, they all waved goodbye to each other.

While they were on the way home, Brad and Connor sat in silence until Brad decided to speak up.

"What'd you do that for? Tristan could think that I'm breaking up with him even if I'm not!" Brad said in slight panic.

"I saw you starting to cry. Plus, it was wrong for him to say that to you."

"To me? Or is it because I'm you? Did you just fucking defend yourself while ruining our relationship in the process?"

"I never thought of it that way--"

"Guess what? That's how he thought of it, you dumbass!"

"Look, I defended you. The fact that he talked about you in that way was not good at all."

"Why do you even care? You're not my boyfriend, you're not even my friend, and we're not even supposed to be friends in the first place!" Brad shouted at Connor in anger, and Connor just looked at him during the whole time. They almost crashed on the car in front of them, much to Brad's fury.

"I'm sorry." Connor blurted out once some of his focus was back on the road. "I didn't think of it that way."

"'Sorry' isn't good enough, you twat." Brad told him in anger. He saw that Connor sunk low in his seat before he stared at the view outside the window.

The rest of the ride home was silent. Once they got to Connor's house, Brad grabbed Connor's schoolbag and went out as fast as he could - no goodbyes or anything at all. Connor also drove away as fast as he could. Brad walked to the front door and got greeted by Connor's mum.

"Sorry. Got a little carried away with school." Brad said as he went inside the house. "We got a high score in our music project, by the way." He added.

"And your other grades?" Connor's dad asked him. Brad was not in the mood to play nice.

"Improving, dad." He said sassily before going up to Connor's room, skipping supper. He knew he was mad, but why did his heart feel heavy?

~ JAMES ~

When he pulled up in front of their house, he saw Sophie fast asleep on the passenger's seat. He turned the engine off and went to her side, then he carried her to their house and laid her down on the sofa.