Chapter 18 - Will You...

Skye's POV

I was sitting at home, just finishing up my homework when a knock on the front door sounded. I went downstairs to see who it was.

I opened the door, and to my surprise, it was Nathan. "Hey Skye." He shot me one of his amazing smiles.

"Um, hi Nathan." I grinned.

"So, I came to ask you something. It's important." He sounded a bit nervous.

"Sure. What is it?"

"Okay, well, will you go to the dance with me?"

I had to make sure I wasn't dreaming, because I could swear I was. Did he just ask me to the dance?!

"To the dance?" I asked to be sure i'd heard right.

"Yes. Will you go with me?" He smiled.

"I would love to go with you." I could feel a smile creep up on my face.

He smiled at me, making his dark green eyes sparkle. 

"I was actually afraid to ask you at first." He spoke.

"Afraid? Of what?"

"Rejection. It can scare a guy." He chuckled.

I nodded, agreeing. "So, i'll see you later?" He asked.

"Yeah, definitely." I said, and with that he said goodbye and left.

I slowly closed the door and slid down it, silently thanking god.

I heard myself scream for joy. You would've thought that there was a mass murder, and not that I just got invited to a dance by my crush.

Looks like i've got a date.

I felt like I needed to tell someone. Alex.

I grabbed my phone and started texting rapidly.

Me - Alex guess what happened to me!?

Alex - What

Me - Nathan asked me to the dance!!!!

Alex - Oh my god really?!

Me - Yes!! 

Alex - I'm on my way over. I was coming anyway so i'll be there in a second.

I laughed to myself and waited for her to come.

Within the next few minutes, Alex came.

-

When she walked in, she screamed for joy. "He asked you to the dance!!" She repeated over and over.

"I think i've gone past that stage Alex!" I laughed, although I was still going crazy on the inside.

"We need to get you ready." She said.

"The dance isn't until Friday." I reminded her in case she got too ahead of herself.

"So what? We need to buy a dress for you! We have to get you ready!" She said, examining me.

"What about you?" I asked, not forgetting that she had a date as well. She couldn't have forgotten about Tom.

"We can shop for me to!" She shrugged.

"You're treating this as if it were prom!" I laughed.

"We'll cross that bridge when we come to it." She replied.

Not knowing what that meant, I just nodded. "So we'll go shopping for outfits on Wednesday. That okay?" She said.

"Sure." I replied.

"I don't know about you, but i'm not wearing a dress. Because as you know, I hate wearing dresses." She informed me.

"Can't you make an exception?" I asked.

"For what, exactly?"

"Tom."

She pondered for a second. "I guess so."

I nodded, knowing that she'd make an exception if she knew who it was for. 

"So, how are you going to style your hair?" She asked as she sat on the couch.

"Well seeing as how my hair is in a ponytail now," I pointed to my head, "I'm gonna curl my hair and let it hang down."

"I think i'm going to straighten mine." She replied.

I nodded, thinking about what will happen Friday.

I think it's gonna be really interesting for me and for Alex.

-

We spent the rest of the day talking about what will happen at the dance. After a while, she had to go.

"I'll see you at school tomorrow." She said before leaving. I closed the door behind her and went up to my room.

Soon, after Alex left, mum arrived home.

"Hey." She came in my room.

"Hi." I smiled.

"Is someone in a good mood?" She asked.

"Yeah, you could say that." I replied.

"What happened?" She asked.

"I got asked to a dance at school." I said.

"Oh really? Who asked you?" She seemed intrigued now.

"Nathan."

She gave me a look. "I knew you two had some sort of connection." 

"Connection? Mum, it's just a dance." I reminded.

"It's not even about the dance! It's the way you guys look at each other, speak to each other, you guys have a connection. You just don't want to admit it," She explained.

"When exactly did you turn into the love expert?"

She laughed, "I never said I was a love expert. I just know when someone likes someone."

"I'm just scared." I said.

"What could you possibly be scared of?"

"What if the feeling isn't mutual?" I replied.

"Darling, the feeling is definitely mutual. I mean, he asked to the dance! What more proof do you need?" She said.

She did have a point with this. "I guess so." I shrugged.

"Does Alex have a date?"

"Yeah."

"This must be exciting for you both."

"We're pretty excited about it." I agreed. 

"Don't wear something too revealing." She warned playfully, but I knew she meant it with all seriousness. 

Which I had no problem with, because I never really like to reveal myself anyway. I'm not one of those girls.

She left my room after that.

But as I was pondering what she said, a part of me was still skeptic. 

What if the feeling isn't mutual between the both of us?