Chapter Six.

• Chapter Six •

Ariel

The bookstore is packed, full of teens either hanging out in the café or looking at books. Bins are full of new releases, old covers, trilogies; you name it, it's there.

"I'll be over here if you need me." Matti walks over to the history book section, quickly getting lost in the piles of Civil War and old western books. Matti is studying to become a history teacher at our local public high school. He has been interested in history ever since he was ten years old listening to Dad's stories of his days teaching at the local community college.

Our dad watched old westerns with him all the time, and his favorite game to play as a kid was "cowboys and aliens." This was a silly game we came up with that consisted of us running around the yard screaming as he pretended to be a cowboy that hunted us down. Sometimes Dad joined us by being the town sheriff, acting as Matti's backup. The "alien" aspect of it was Zach's idea, because the rest of us weren't very fond of old westerns like Matti was. The small memory brings a smile to my face as I nod over to him in acknowledgement.

I walk over to the fantasy section. There are so many different books, ranging from werewolf love stories to vampire war stories. My eyes light up as I catch sight of a book, its cover bright and vibrant. The title is dark and alluring, capturing my attention and sparking my interest immediately. I know, I know. "Don't judge a book by its cover," but I can't help but to do just that. Book covers are the quickest way for me to find a book.

I simply scan the shelves, and whichever one captures my attention first is usually the one I end up taking home with me. A vivid, eye-catching book cover is a surefire way to grab my attention. I pick up the book and hold it close to my chest, brushing my fingers across its hard cover. My fingers flip through the pages, stopping on every other page and reading a few sentences to get a taste of this other world. After just a few samples, I'm hooked and already want to know more. I shut the book and glance back at the shelf, quickly noticing that there are two other formats for it—paperback, and another hardcover but with a movie adaption cover.

My eyes widen excitedly, and I quickly pull out my phone to take a note to search for the movie later. Sliding my phone into my back pocket, I take one last gander at the shelf in front of me and decide to keep searching. Turning the corner around a shelf of books and into the next aisle, my shoulder bumps directly into a tall, blond-haired boy. The coffee cup in his hand spills over onto his shirt and falls onto the floor. I jump back from the creamy brown liquid before it can stain my clothes as well.
"I am so sorry!" My voice comes out smaller than a mouse as I step around the mess and to the boy, gasping as I take in his shirt, now covered in coffee.

He throws a glare at me and snarls, "Watch where you're walking," unsuccessfully trying to dry the stain off with the napkin he had in his hand. My shoulders slump in defeat.
Looking down at my shoes I quickly utter another "Sorry."

"Yeah, because sorry is going to fix this mess! You such an incompetent idi—"

"How about you accept the apology and keep moving. Can't you see she's sorry?" Hoodie Boy's voice cuts the blonde-haired boy off.

Blondie shifts his glare from me to him before mumbling a low, "Whatever." My eyes follow him as he walks out of sight, and then they shift over to Hoodie Boy, who is dressed in an employee shirt and apron with a mop in hand to clean the mess up off the floor.