Chapter 5- Green-eyed monster

Start from the beginning

While these vicious thoughts were flying through my head, she finally turned her attention to me. She had a fake ass smile plastered on her face.

“So, who is this little girl, Nikos?”

God, I hated this girl.

Finally, Nikos left her side and came towards me.

“My mate”, he said without any emotion. He could have told it with a little more enthusiasm.

I looked at her with my same, emotionless face, without betraying my evil, inner thoughts and gave a small nod.

“Hello”

Her fake smile became even faker as she murmured, ”Nice to meet you”, to no one in particular.

She followed us all the way to the breakfast room.

 ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing that I noticed when I entered the breakfast room was the Queen sitting on the King’s lap and giggling.

She seemed a bit flustered when she saw us. But nevertheless, she stood up gracefully and a beautiful smile lit her face as she looked directly at me. I was a bit unnerved to be the centre of attention of such a beautiful woman.

And she was beautiful. Her blond hair fell in beautiful, natural waves on her shoulders. She had bright green doe eyes, the same color as my mate. She was wearing a beautiful fluid purple dress with a tiny glittering crown on her head. She was the perfect picture of a majestic queen.

When I looked at her, I thought that the Moon Goddess must have made some sort of a mistake choosing me as the Prince’s mate. I mean, I was black-haired and black-eyed normal looking girl. From no angle did I look like a queen. And then, there was my background to consider.

She walked towards me and gave me a huge bear hug. I stood stiffly, not sure of how to react.

She then held me at arm’s length and looked at me fondly.

“You’re perfect. I’m finally getting a daughter. She’s beautiful, isn’t she Louis?”

The King came towards us and placed a hand around her waist.

“Yes”, he said looking at me.

“My wife has been talking non-stop about you, since yesterday.”

Unlike the queen, the King had a wary and doubtful look on his face.

“Let’s not overwhelm her immediately, Nina. It’s better to understand her character completely before you actually start meeting her.”

Before I could understand the underlying meaning behind his words, a threatening growl came from behind me. I was yanked back and a furiously growling Nikos stood in front of me facing the King. The King had now pushed his mate behind him and was facing Nikos. A heavy tension hung in the room. I could barely make out what was going on because the only view I was getting, was my mate’s stiff back.

The Queen broke the tension, by stepping out from behind the King and placing a hand on his shoulder to calm him.

She then looked at Nikos, “Son, calm down. I’m sure your father didn’t mean anything by those words. Right, Louis?”

The King looked at her guiltily. This didn’t seem to calm Nikos because his stance didn’t change.

Out of instinct, I held Nikos’ hand, my fingers curling around his.

“I’m hungry. Let’s have breakfast.”

This seemed to bring him out of his reverie.  

After this we moved to the heavily loaded table at the center of the room. The King sat at the center of the table followed by the Queen at his right. She motioned me to sit beside her and Nikos took the seat beside me. Thalia took the seat directly facing him.