Chapter 24.

"Your tea, Ciel."

Sebastian placed the teacup before his master, who was sat at his desk dressed in black. Black was a colour he had taken to wearing over the past few days. He had barely changed since he was thirteen, despite the fact his sixteenth birthday was the day after next. The snow had already begun to fall and the manor was blanketed in white. All the servants had been sent into town on a shopping trip to fetch extra supplies and the like in case the weather took a turn for a worse, leaving demon and boy alone for an entire day.

"Thank you... Sebastian, I know the others are trying to come up with a plot to throw me a party. After the disaster we had last year please make sure they don't do anything stupid." replied the Earl, picking up the teacup and taking a long, slow sip of Earl Grey.

"I shall at that. We wouldn't want another exploding cake, that's for sure."
The raven haired male chuckled and sat himself down in the chair opposite.

"No. I don't want to see the dining room covered in soot again. Who on earth thinks dynamite is a suitable substitute for candles? Other than Bard, that is. He really is an absolute idiot."

"I'll agree with you there. Although, you cannot deny over the past year or two he has gotten better. He can actually cook an entire meal now without burning anything."
To hear Sebastian praise the other servants would once have been odd, but Ciel paid it no mind.

"True... Oh well. Must they throw me a party, though? I would really rather they didn't... You know how I hate such occasions."

"I know why you are reluctant to celebrate, Ciel, but even so you must try not to hang onto the past. Do not let your memories taint what should be a happy day for you."
Almost instantly Sebastian was at the boy's side, and leaned down to kiss him softly. With a slight smile Ciel shifted a little in his chair, grabbing the butler's tie before he could pull away and kissing him back deeply. With a smirk the demon kneeled, his hands resting on the arms of the chair as he pressed his lips against those of the Earl.

"Mmf..."
Ciel allowed a short, quiet moan to slip past his lips as Sebastian slid his tongue into the boy's mouth, running it across his bottom lip before biting it softly. His butler held the contact for just a moment more, then broke the kiss gently and with a soft smile.

"Come. Dinner will be ready soon." he said, brushing the boy's soft blue-grey locks with one finger before standing and leaving the room. Ciel sat and watched him go, a faint shadow of a smile gracing his pale face.

*****

"Happy birthday, young Master!"

The servants cheered and grinned as Sebastian brought over a massive chocolate cake, adorned with sixteen bright candles and a rich host of decorations. Everyone in the room wore ridiculous paper party hats, and the only thing that cheered Ciel up was the fact his butler had a frilly pink and yellow cone atop his head, strewn with paper streamers and the like. He smirked as the cake was set down in front of him.
"Make a wish, My Lord." said the demon, his eyes flashing crimson with amusement. Ciel inhaled deeply then blew out all of the candles in one breath, actually bothering to make a wish for the first time in seven years.

I wish... I wish to be happy in the life I know will soon come my way.

His desire was simple yet powerful, and he felt as if the raven-haired male looking down at him knew what it was. The soft look in his crimson eyes and the gentle smile dancing upon his lips told the Earl he was not alone in his wish. Reassured, he watched as Sebastian picked up a knife and cut the cake, handing the first and largest slice to his master. Ciel accepted it with a smirk and began to eat, watching the servants standing around him.